American Accent

Anno.   Saturday, June 22, 2002, 18:41 GMT
I've posted a couple of messages on this site and I want to share my experience with you guys. I've always wanted to have the so-called Standard American Accent and I've spent 2 years imitating the accent. And now some native English speakers would perceive my accent as the Michigan accent (or the Standard one). You might think that 2 years is too long a period of time. However, you would learn the most fudamental sounds in the first 2 days if you pay attention to how the CNN anchors articulate. With a little help from native speakers of American English, I noticed a couple of charateristics of my own (non-American) accent, and I was taught about the linking, assimilation and intonation of American English. In year 2, there came a speech therapist as my substitute English teacher, and she helped me a great deal in telling me other subtle but vital aspects of American accent and things that I have to be careful, like the prolonged L in baLL etc. Anyway it wasn't until a couple of months ago that my American accent became (quite) perfect. During the 'process', I was told that having an accent doesn't make one's English bad but I always tell myself that Grammar and vocabulary are easy to learn while pronunciation/accent is a different thing. It's hard to grasp and it's difficulties lie on your hearing ability so it demands intuitive senses.
Tom   Sunday, June 23, 2002, 08:56 GMT
Great story. Could you fill us in on your background? What is your native language, how old are you, what do you do?

Your English certainly seems very good. I would very much like to hear your accent. If you have access to a PC with a microphone, could you please e-mail me at the address listed on the Contact Info page so we can talk this through? Thanks.
BILL   Wednesday, July 24, 2002, 20:56 GMT
Anyone can contact me at bzee007@hotmail.com...

I love teaching, speaking and learning English.
Chrissy   Saturday, August 10, 2002, 07:51 GMT
I live in Michigan.Whoo!Are you British?I'm only guessing lol.If not you seem to know English pretty good.I myselfy want to learn a British accent.lol. I guess that whole Michigan is the standard lanuage makes sense because I know Brits say eh and Michigan people say eh also.lalala!When ever I go to Mackinaw City in Lower Michigan there is this one shop and it has a sign that says something like French-Mackinac British-Mackinaw.haha.Don't know why you would care.My mother told me that Michigan people also carry a bit of French with them since we are so close to Canada and lots of Canadians are French.Well thanks for sharing!
J.C   Thursday, August 29, 2002, 19:09 GMT
Yes, I found this interesting too and a very juicy subject for ambitious foreigners like myself who came to the U.S to study and forge a career in a highly competitive field. An American accent will go a long way (if you can have it when needed...) in helping us (non-natives) get ahead in many, and long list of circumstances. Ranging from dating to getting jobs that are commonly exclusive to those with an American accent, as well as simply getting respectful, unbiased service at a restaurant. The "American accent" is not just a product of what comes out of your mouth when you speak... It may come down as to how much you blink, wave your arms around or..move your lips...(don't believe it? Ask an expert like the ones who coach actors in movies for example..) I now know that having a solid grasp and/or understanding of American (Pop) culture is essential for those who are interested in succeeding. But please, if you go as far as to become an expert, do it only because it is absolutely justified by your life goals and/or the ends you've set out to accomplish. The greatest thing is not having an accent (which is kind of impossible..all americans have a variety of accents...) and then proudly announce that you're a native of Chad!! and your father was Moroccan!! That's not my case but I thought it was hilarious. Good Luck and lots of Love!! J.C
mohit rai   Monday, September 02, 2002, 13:00 GMT
hi bill
how're you
i'm fine and hope, you as well
bill i wanna learn american accent
would you help me?
i'm a indian
i feel very good if you help me
my email id is mohit_rai@hotmail.com
bye
Mala   Tuesday, September 10, 2002, 17:28 GMT
Hi Bill.

Thanks a lot..... I have been spending my time with searching the sites for Improve my English and to learn American accent but I'm not satisfied with the result what I get. If you do me this favour I will be Glad and thankful to you. Please send me reply as soon as possible.

My mail Id is malabinary@yahoo.com

Thanks,
moore makole   Monday, September 16, 2002, 21:57 GMT
Could you please help me I have always wanted to speak american accent. my email add: mooremako@yahoo.co.uk
altaf   Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 15:07 GMT
hi
iam very instreted to learn the way the americans speak.please could to please help with this.
altafhussain123@hotmail.com
Ronald G.   Thursday, September 19, 2002, 16:36 GMT
If anyone here wants to "sound" like an American CNN reporter this is the place to go: http://www.americanaccent.com/

They even have a forum for people focusing on just accent training(for advanced English speakers only)so its not a place for grammar discussions, etc. I would recommend people that are at a very low English level to start with the antimoon.com products first.

Another thing, no matter where you buy this course the CD's(most of them) always get scratched and damaged. If this happens to you just email Ann Cook and request new copies, you wont have to pay for anything.

Thanks
Amy   Tuesday, September 24, 2002, 22:51 GMT
I've been to America for almost three years. And i still have heavy accent. It's really embarrassing to talk in class because people don't see me as a person instead they see me as a foreigner and someone who is stupid. I really need help getting rid of my accent. My brother came here about 7 years ago and he is like a native speaker now. He keeps telling me to get rid of my accent. And i don't know what to do. If you guys could help me, my email is brandy21146@yahoo.com By the way, how long does it take you guys to get rid of accent? I really want to be like a native speaker before i graduate. Thanks!
Gurumayum Ganeshwar Sharma   Monday, September 30, 2002, 08:48 GMT
Thanks God, I' ve found you as a real friend who will certainly help in learning American English. I wanted to learn all about Amnerican English from you. My present level of English is very poor. First I want to learn from you the souns of vowels and consonants followed by expression of spoken English.
I am from a remote area of India_ North East Region which is very undeveloped part of India, Manipur _ a land of forest and hills.

Yours faithfully,

G. Ganeshwar Sharma
Nagamapal Singjubung Leirak, Imphal -795001
phone-0385-310052
e-mail:ganeshwar_g2yahoo.com, ganeshwar_g@rediffmail.com