CANADIAN and AMERICAN accent, whats the difference?

Andrew J.   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 05:03 GMT
I went to Detroit last summer (right on the border), and watched the news on CBC. And the Canucks do sound a bit different from us Americans. Almost kinda Scottish. They really do say "aboot", or "abewt" or something close, and they have that slight Scots-like vocal lilt. Did more Scots settle in Canada and possibly influence the English accent there? I, unlike a great many Americans, have read a bit about Canadian history, which is a lot like American history somewhat. It seems like Scottish-decended people dominated Canadian politics for many years; their first prime minister was named McKenzie (or was it McDonald? I didn't say I was an expert on Canadian history). In conclusion, I have nothing against Canadians. I've been there, and think it's a nice enough place. Victoria is much cleaner than most American cities I've been to, actually.
Carrie (in response to Andrew J.)   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 06:34 GMT
I think the accent you heard might be only concentrated in that place or city. Accents actually differ from city to city, place to place in Canada but very slightly. I still haven't heard anyone in my life say "aboot" and I live in British Columbia, so it's probably different in Detroit then.

P.S. The first prime minister of Canada is Sir John Alexander McDonald. Peace.
Clark   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 20:39 GMT
Andrew J., in response to your question about Scottish people settling in Canada. Yes, it was very prevalent. Mostly on the eastern side of Canada though. One of my friends from Canada was told by a doctor that she had a speech problem. When she went to a speech therapist, he told her that she just had a strong Scottish accent, as she lived in a Scottish community in Canada. Sorry for the story, but it just illistrates my oint that there are a lot of Scottish people, or their descendants, in Canada.
Jim   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 00:17 GMT
There's even a provence called "Nova Scotia".
Clark   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 00:23 GMT
Jim, in GĂ idhlig (Scottish Gaelic) it is called "Alba Nuadh," or "New Scotland." "Nova Scotia" is the same term in Latin.
tu primo   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 03:48 GMT
really laddie? well i just call it...Scotland.
Nali   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 20:06 GMT
The assumption that canada-america hate each other is wrong... It is more of a rivalry kinda competitive nature. The thing is, canadians don't like the fact that that some people/countries maybe, associate us to americans. I am not an american, I AM CANADIAN !! We are different, culturally and individually. We do have a different way when we talk and we do have our own little ways of living that is different than the US. We have provinces, not states, politics, school system, medical care ect ect....... I just heard, like two minutes ago that a poll was made in the US and 49% said they wanted to make canada the 51st state ??????? Excuse me but I will die before the americans take my identity away.... We do have our pride, beleive it or not. I am NEVER going to hold up the american flag and say "this is my country". I do not mean this in a bad way, trust me. I am just saying that it is rediculous that this poll even took place... besides, it will never happen anyway !!!!

Concerning the accent, it is very unoticable. Some intonations can be different but it depends where you live
CIV   Thursday, November 21, 2002, 01:06 GMT
Nali, if it makes you feel better, I am an American who would rather be a Candian citizen than an American citizen. I would not want Canada to become the 51st state (actually, Peurto Rico has a better chance on becoming the 51st state). I would rather see America become the 12th province. (yes, I do know something about Canada :-)
>>Bunny<<   Friday, November 22, 2002, 14:07 GMT
I'm Canadian, and personally, I've never heard anyone pronounce "about" as "aboot." The only time I have really noticed a difference in accents here was when the people I spoke to were from Newfoundland, Quebec (naturally), and Nova Scotia. Then again, I've never been outside of Ontario in Canada, so obviously, accents and dialect differ slightly throughout the country and is influenced by one's own national background.

Has anyone here ever seen "Talking To Americans" with Rick Mercer? It stereotypes Americans quite a lot, and in no way am I saying that all Americans are stupid, but Rick had George Bush believing our Prime Minister was named Jean Poutine, then had various governors believing we had a Chinese Prime Minister named Jean Chretong, lol.

It's funny to watch, though. We watched it in civics class on the last day of classes, and my peers would comment about how stupid all Americans are and how the world hates them. Even though the things the Americans were believing were very far fetched -- they were told that we just legalized staplers and our Parliament buildings were igloos -- there is a great deal of assumption in BOTH countries as to how the other acts.
PJY   Friday, November 22, 2002, 17:31 GMT
hey patriotic Canadian. there was a poll that asked if US wanted 2 make Britain the 51st state as well. aint it wierd. true story. and Britain aint even in America. wierd.
Carrie   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 06:30 GMT
Canada the 51st state?! Doesn't United States think that they have enough states already? It's just because half of the Americans want it to happen, but we live in a little thing called "reality". I mean, 51st state, come on!
Carrie   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 06:31 GMT
Oh yes! I forgot to end my post with "peace". So, peace. :)
CIV   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 07:37 GMT
Carrie, has anyone in this forum, who is American, and was not joking around, said that they wanted Canada to become the 51st state? I do not think so! Have you met any Americans who want Canada to become the 51st state? I doubt it!
CIV   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 23:26 GMT
PJY, I can totally believe that the 2 million did not know where Britain was on the map. A lot of people in America do not even know where a lot of the states are; let alone where other countries are! If you ask some American what language they speak in Switzerland, one should not be surprised when you get the answer, "uh, I dunno; Swedish?"
PJY   Sunday, November 24, 2002, 12:09 GMT
ha ha ha. well as long as you know it's not an insult. Just for the record, a survey in England showed that more people had heard of Grant Mitchell (a character from Eastenders, an English soap) than of Saddam Hussein. It just shows that English people, are as 'ignorant' as the people in the States.