Speaking slowly is okay - don't worry about "fluency"

Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Saturday, December 15, 2001, 23:24 GMT
English learners are often worried about their lack of fluency. They need much time to build sentences and this worries them. They would like to speak as fast as in their native language.

Please notice that building sentences in a foreign language is a real challenge for the brain. There are chemical processes that take place in the brain before a sentence can be built in a foreign language. Those processes take more time than building sentences in one's native language. At least in the beginning. Fluency comes with time and practice and it should not to be expected in the beginning of learning.

If you are an English learner who worries about lack of fluency, please remember my words:

When you speak too fast, your brain does not have the time to build correct sentences. You have to speak so slowly that your brain has the time to think about building sentences in English.

In my opinion, it is a good habit to speak slowly and carefully in a foreign language.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Friday, December 28, 2001, 23:12 GMT

To Michal :

- You have to speak so slowly that your brain has the time to think about building sentences in English.

{ How much time atleast is required to build up one sentence into another ? }

- Please notice that building sentences in a foreign language is a real challenge for the brain. There are chemical processes that take place in the brain before a sentence can be built in a foreign language.

{ Would you please to define those chemical processes ? }

- Those processes take more time than building sentences in one's native language.

{ why do those processes take more time as compared to building sentences in one's native language ? }

Peace Out.....
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Sunday, December 30, 2001, 17:39 GMT
I was simply saying that it is harder to speak in a foreign language than in one's native language. I mentioned chemical processes in the brain only because that's my style of expression.

My point is that learners should accept the fact that speaking in a foreign language is more difficult than speaking in one's native language. There is no need to worry about this. There is little fluency in the beginning and this is okay. Don't worry about lack of fluency.
Kartic   Monday, January 07, 2002, 11:13 GMT
To achieve fluency in English , one needs to build up idea units as well as the sentences to go with it . Hence its a 2 in 1 process that occurs simultaneously and therefore , as Michal had said clearly , if one tries to speak fast , he would have no time left to think abt idea units and hence stutters or takes a break.

To Michal :

How does idea units read native English speakers mind so fastly ?. I have seen a lot of English movies where the characters counter-attack certain questions with some brilliant answers (especially when they get rude and when they speak fast ) . Is this all because , the script are prewritten or is it something else ?. How can one begin to speak like a native English speaker (i mean put together a lot of idea units together with out much stress and frame up some catchy phrases ).
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 20:40 GMT
Perhaps one can learn movie scripts by heart. I don't know.

I don't think I'm as fluent as English speaking actors, so I cannot give you advice based on my own experience.
Neil Gratton   Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 15:27 GMT
I agree with Michal, it's best to take time to work out a sentence correctly ... and the speed will increase because as you practice more you'll find it takes you less time to build your sentences.
sachin   Monday, March 25, 2002, 15:31 GMT
hello sir i am agree with allabout u hav written about english ,i am also facing problem while talking english fast ,since it s not my mother tounge.anyway i hav one question ,how to get familier with words with different words contain only one word but use in sentence by different meanings.
my email address is sbcout@yahoo.com
bye
thanks
Govindarajulu   Wednesday, May 01, 2002, 08:24 GMT
I am an engineer and I couldnt able to speak fluently. My written english is also very poor. I want to improve my english. Please suggest me some ideas. Is it possible for me to get fluency in two months? Because I got an overseas opportunity to work. What are all the steps should I take to improve my english in two months? Please Help me.

Thanks
Tom   Wednesday, May 01, 2002, 09:38 GMT
Rakesh Koul.   Sunday, May 05, 2002, 13:15 GMT

Hi Govindarajulu,

To improve written communication in any language, you need to (a) know the grammar of that language, and (b) have sufficient vocabulary of that language.

If you can write grammatically correct English, all you need to improve is vocabulary. For improving vocabulary, the best way is to read newspapers and magazines regularly. Look out for new words & try to relate every "new" word with a similar word you already know. Look for a good English-to-English dictionary. Never try your luck with a English-to-non-English dictionary. In case of Hindi-speaking people, I have seen a common habit of using "English-to-Hindi" dictionary and for sounth Indian people, I have seen them using "English-to-their-local-language" dictionary. I can recommend "Chamber's English to English dictionary".

An important tip: How to relate a new word with an old word:

For instance, if you know what "circumference" means, and if you know why it means so, you can know at least 50 more words which are similar to this in meaning or sound or have the same root as this word. To name a few: "circumcenter", "circumspect", "circumvent" etc.

If you need any detailed tips, feel free to contact me at

koulrc@yahoo.com.

If I follow these tips, you will see a significant difference in your written and oral communication within 2-3 months.

Rakesh.
ALEX   Tuesday, May 07, 2002, 14:39 GMT

Michal You got the point.

For so long i was blame my self for not acheiving fluency, despite i have studied a lot of words. Now, i realize that attempting to speak fast is the cause of my frustration in spoken english. thanx for pinpointing the root of the problem Michal.
Miguel   Tuesday, May 07, 2002, 17:33 GMT
I agree up to a point, my point is that you cannot expect to speak fluency unless you think everythink in english, I mean some English learners like me are not used to thinking in English as we talk, so, we try to translate some sentences into English, I'm sure that if I thought everything in english I wouldn't have any problems in my fluency and would be able to express myself much better.
gomathi   Friday, May 24, 2002, 06:22 GMT
how to think in english.can u pl me that
Miguel   Friday, May 24, 2002, 17:20 GMT
are you talking to me?
gomathi   Monday, May 27, 2002, 04:49 GMT
Thanks for ur response.yes. I have missed the word 'tell'.I want to avoid this kind of mistake. Can u pl help this out
Regards
gomathi