super memo

Mohammed Asad khan   Friday, December 28, 2001, 22:48 GMT

I wanna ask from the founders of this marvellous website - Antimoon.
Is there any alternative of super memo ?
If English leaners don't have credit cards for buying stuffs over Internet, {due to any reasons}
what will they do for using super memo.
If English learners are belonged to poor families but they want to learn by the help of super memo, how will learn English more effectively.

Would you persuade learners to make their own personal super memo manually ? Is there any way of making super memo instead of buying and then installing. It costs 66$ dollars
And you know our computers are crashed many times during the time of 1-2 months and the file of super memo will be lost and of course money too.

I will appreciate your help in this matter.
Peace Out....
Tom   Saturday, December 29, 2001, 14:01 GMT
<<<<
Is there any alternative of super memo ?
>>>>

As far as I know, there are no computer programs like it. It's unique.

<<<<
If English leaners don't have credit cards for buying stuffs over Internet, {due to any reasons} what will they do for using super memo.
>>>>

Perhaps they can ask a friend who has a credit card to order it for them?

<<<<
Would you persuade learners to make their own personal super memo manually?
>>>>

I don't think many learners can develop their own software and do research into human memory...

<<<<
It costs 66$ dollars. And you know our computers are crashed many times during the time of 1-2 months and the file of super memo will be lost and of course money too.
>>>>

1. SuperMemo 2000 costs 33 dollars (not 66).
2. Older (unsupported) versions are available for very low prices. For example:

SuperMemo 99 costs $24
SuperMemo 98 costs $15
SuperMemo 97 costs $6
SuperMemo 7 costs $4

You can see the pricing on this page:
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?supermemo+nYnzgg+supermemo84.html

(If you choose to buy one of these, I wouldn't recommend the 97 version. All other versions are fine.)

3. About the crashes: You can copy SuperMemo onto a floppy or a CD-R, can't you? And if you lost all your copies, you COULD download it again FREE from the SuperMemo Store. (After all, you would be a registered customer.)
Tomas   Sunday, January 13, 2002, 18:23 GMT
Some older version of supermemo is even free, i think that even the first windows version. And, btw. you can get supermemo for FREE, if you will submit them a good supermemo database - details are on www.supermemo.com.
Kartic   Friday, January 18, 2002, 03:50 GMT
I have recently got a copy of Collins dictionary in CDROM and am already overwhelmed by its simplicity and lucidness. I believe its one of the invaluable tool for learners of English , who spent most of the time looking into the computer. Initially , i used it to search several words which all got saved in the title bar(I dunno the exact name for this stuff, have learned in Visual basic sometime back ... cant recollect) and hence it seemed that i eventually had found a solution for remembering the words i search. But to my dismay , i recently noticed that it doesn't store anything more than 33 words. I have to open a new title group which is again restricted to a maximum of 10. Oh!, so this had let me down vehemently. What exactly does Supermemo does and should i type in what i see in a dictionary in it's memory ?. Can u please expand on its advantages to learners of English.

Thankx
Tom   Friday, January 18, 2002, 19:09 GMT
to Kartic:

Normally you can just copy a sentence (Ctrl+C) and paste it into a SuperMemo item (Ctrl+V).

However, COBUILD on CD-ROM does not let you select just one sentence. You have to copy the ENTIRE entry (using Edit/Copy entry). This is a serious disadvantage of this dictionary. :-(

The advantages of SuperMemo? In short, it makes you repeat phrases and sentences regularly, so that they don't evaporate from your head.

If, as you write, you are looking for a solution to remember new English words, then by all means find out about SuperMemo.

Please consult http://www.antimoon.com/how/sm.htm. You can find some pretty good stuff on SuperMemo there.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Friday, February 22, 2002, 20:54 GMT

I was wrong to judge the performance of this great software. I have just started working on it and suddenly, fell in love.
It's really cool to add definition sentences from internet dictionaries.
It's a big software and contains so many useful options. I'll take some time to know them all. I just experimented adding words along with many definitions sentences of a particular word. It's really have a good time with it. Although you can differentiate your question answer sections by applying different colors. I copied all definitions directly from internet. It took only seconds if you were putting into a upper part( Q SECTION).

Its upto you which section do you want to choose as question or answer section but one point i have just noted you can not paste into a lower part.

I just installed a mrw-sample within seconds and practiced and inserteddifferent grades. the most point is very intersting once you have loaded someone's sample from a library. that will be yours forever. You see someone collection has 62 items, okay but you can add unlimited items in this particular sample.

I just want to say to all of you, strike while the iron is hot.

Its great, its cool, its excellent and it is the best software i have ever seen in my life in order to store information from any resource.

( i'm just learning how to use all other options, for now i am just able to use for only english.kno).

I guess I can paste british and american phonetics from internet.

I want to spend a bit time with supermemo in just order to understand it from more closer.

Mohammed Asad Khan   Sunday, March 03, 2002, 00:34 GMT

Once again I must say, SUPERMEMO IS THE BEST !

- You don't need to learn ASCII symbols because we can paste pronunciation of words into American and British phonetics. And store them in our supermeo. ( directly from internet, cambridge dictionary )

- You know the latest version of supermemo is really amazing!

- So the bottom line is, to learn only IPA tanscription.

- Now my all tensions have been evaporated into air, I can perform plenty of work at minimum time, so using supermemo won't be a big headache.

- My accuracy of learning English will be faster and more faster!

I have been using supermemo for the last 5 days, my collection of words has become almost 200 words ( each word contains approximately 3 - 6 definition sentences.)

- Incremental reading is the best feature, I have ever seen in my life. you can paste any sort of informative page into your sm directly from internet.
You can divide the whole paragraph into small questions and answers.

In a nutshell supermemo is the best computer software over internet
Tom   Sunday, March 03, 2002, 10:57 GMT
<<<<
You don't need to learn ASCII symbols because we can paste pronunciation of words into American and British phonetics. And store them in our supermeo. ( directly from internet, cambridge dictionary )
>>>>

This sounds like something I didn't know about. How does this "pasting" work? Could you explain it in detail?
Mohammed Asad khan   Sunday, March 03, 2002, 16:19 GMT

Tom:

That's for sure ! I will explain it, afterall, this is my privilege to tell something about supermemo.

* first of all, i am curious to know what kind of version of Sm you people are using.

* I'm using the version of Sm2002, you can paste the pronunciation of words into BRITISH AND AMERICAN phonetics directly from internet.
( cambridge is the best recommended dictionary. )

* As you know, the element contains two parts Q & A !
we consider the question part, as an upper part
" " " answer part , as a lower part.

* You can paste definitions directly from internet into a question part just all you need to select that definition and paste it by clicking on " paste option " or use ctr + v

* for pasting pronunciation of words into a lower part - answer part
all you need to select and use this command ctrl + v
(my mouse is pasting all information into the question part) that's why i am using ctrl + v for answer part.

I HOPE THIS HELPS
Mohammed Asad Khan   Tuesday, April 16, 2002, 05:46 GMT

About making items for personal Sm collection, I just want to say that what Tom and Michal introduced different ways to make items. They are totally out of world. Very unique style!

As far I know, I relate making items with watching English movies at cinema.
You go and watch movie, the next day, you see similar kinda picture..so on.
It feels you tired and irriated. You will no longer to watch movies.

Same rule is applied here, If you make your items one kinda style. It will make your less interesting and stop learning with your Sm collection.

suppose, you read a definition, then guess a word, and read a few example sentences. If you read this kinda style all the time, you will feel boring.

The end result is, Michal and Tom both know very well human physco.
Marcelo Azevedo   Thursday, April 18, 2002, 14:12 GMT
I'm using supermemo 99 in my home, with windows milleniun and i can't import corretly and completly my collection to my computer office that use a windows 2000 NT.
I read the collection but the items are not complet.
Can you help me?

marceloazevedo@excite.co,
marcelo.azevedo@rj.previdenciasocial.gov.br
Tom   Thursday, April 18, 2002, 21:50 GMT
Marcelo,

Please write to SuperMemo Technical Support. You can find the address at http://www.supermemo.com.