Poverty and accent

Ahmed   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 10:31 GMT
The intelligence gap between Rupert and Andrew is bigger than the income gap between the rich and the poor in the UK.
Richard   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 11:35 GMT
lol.
Richard   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 11:43 GMT
I also think old people have much stronger accents than young people.
J   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 14:48 GMT
I think that Andrew was talking about 'absolute' poverty of which there is none. Rupert is talking about 'relative' poverty of which there is plenty in all countries, not just the UK.

P.S. I read somewhere that the income gap is a constituent factor of civilization and you cannot have one without the other.
Andrew   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 18:12 GMT
Yes that was what I was talking about. Poverty is when you go to LEDC's and see the dying destitutes in the street. You do not see this in Britain. Well I did make a mistake about King Abdullah being part British, but his father King Hussain did have a british partner for some time, I know that.
I take it you live in the south Rupert and I feel that is why you are like that. People who do speak RP (as you put it) do seem to feel they have a superiority over those who speak in a regional accent.
Rupert   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 19:39 GMT
Andrew,

My deepest sympathy goes to you. Here are some of my observations on Andrew:

Andrew is:

1) not thorough about facts,
2) incapable of drawing logical inferences,
3) of low literacy and numeracy

The first factor attributes to the fact that he does not have a firm grasp of what he talks about whereas the second and the third contribute to his inability to logically structure ideas and to articulate his views in writing, respectively. I do not know if he has acquired these features or given by hereditary.

NB:
1) the logic Andrew uses to overgeneralise RP speakers without no solid evidence exhibits nothing but his nature and socially deprived propensity to unfairly discriminate against some group of people. As said, one can find nice people and not so nice people in any stratum of society. An accent per se does not make you either a bad guy or a good guy.

2) In the English language, if you say "roots of a king", it customarily refers to the place or culture that the king or his family originally comes from. Hence, king Hussein has no English roots. If you meant to say the late king Hussein had a temporary English girlfriend, just say so. Speak your language correctly for your own sake.

I shall no longer be charitable hereafter.

May god help him conquer this terrible reflection on himself, Amen.
J   Thursday, November 28, 2002, 21:08 GMT
Go easy on Andrew, after all he is a good deal younger than you.
Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 11:50 GMT
J,

Please enlighten me by answering the questions below. I totally fail to understand your comment.

1. Do you know my age?
2. Do you know Andrew's age?
3. How can you calculate the age difference between Andrew and me?
4. Is it true the older the more intelligent?
5. What if Andrew is older than me?
J   Friday, November 29, 2002, 11:56 GMT
I know you are a theoretical physicist, so at least must be old enough to have completed a good few years at university. I would guess at least mid-twenties, if not older.

I thought Andrew was a student taking his GCSE's, and thst would make him about fifteen or sixteen.

Therefore I think Andrew is about ten years younger than you.

Older does not have to mean more intelligent, and ten years in not normally that much. But, the ten years of growing up from teenager to adult is quite enormous.

If Andrew is older than you then he must be either somewhat immature or have a grudge against those he perceives to be his social betters.

I do not agree with Andrew's statements however.
Simon   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:25 GMT
Numbered points... I think Andrew hit a nerve there.

Tell me Rupert, are you white with a yellow scarf and a red jacket.
Simon   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:33 GMT
Rupert offended by Andrew's remarks
Became like a teacher and gave him low marks
So J intervened and gave Rupert 'what for'
But Rupert reacted just the same as before
J   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:36 GMT
Simon you are so sad. Is work that boring? Does your girlfriend know what you get up to on this forum?
Simon   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:47 GMT
No, but it's a little intense. It helps to take a break once in a while. Plus I find this forum quite interesting. What I did to deserve such an attack from you, J, I don't know.

Who's the real sad one, J? If it's so sad to be on this forum, why are you here?
J   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:51 GMT
You caught me! I am sad. Actually, I am trying to do some research on the Celts but the amount of 'real' information on the web is quite low. If I wanted to research legendary Celtic civilizations or mindless IRA supporters, then I would be quite happy
Rupert   Friday, November 29, 2002, 12:56 GMT
J,

Good guess. In fact, I'm bearly 25 and wouldn't call myself a theoretical physicist if I didn't have a doctorate. However, your guess is not always the case for others, barring someone stupid like myself as you previously claimed. Many theoretical physicists finish their doctorates by the age 21. The younger the better. Ground breaking discoveries are made in their early twenty's, if not before. This also proves my mediocrity so far in this area, I must add.

16 is mature and intelligent enough to be able to define problems and to articulate his views. Not to mention, he must be aware of and be ready to take the consequences of what he says/does to others. If he still needs his mother to constantly look after himself and to seek for lame excuses for what he's done wrong, he needs to grow up quickly and to stand on his own feet, if he wants to be a man rather than to remain as a boy. In all fairness and respect, I should in any case treat him as a man. Otherwise, it will be rude to him.