Poverty and accent

Simon   Monday, December 02, 2002, 11:51 GMT
Rupert, it's "pronounce" not "pronunce". lol.
J   Monday, December 02, 2002, 15:49 GMT
I say that BBC presenters speak close to RP, but many RP-speakers complain that their accents are 'common'. Then Rupert (an RP-speaker) complains that there accents are not RP, but 'common'! Far too easy....
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 15:56 GMT
J,

Where did I say "common"?
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 16:09 GMT
J,

Where did I complain their accents are not RP? It seems you are making that up. I just said they did not necessarily use RP on TV since there is no restriction and BBC World Service's English is not necessarily classed as RP. I didn't complain anything but stated what is considered as a fact. If you just say BBC world broadcast, that will also include TV in addtion to BBC World Service. It's just more helpful to let foreigners know BBC TV World Broadcast is not necessarily RP.
J   Monday, December 02, 2002, 16:31 GMT
Nor did I say they were RP, but close. Your readiness to say they are not RP proves my point.
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 17:06 GMT
J,

It's not a proof. If someone asks where, tell him where. Don't interpret.

I'm asking you where I said "common". The answer is no where. It is YOU who said it. The PROOF is in your message.

Where did I complain? The answer is no where in my message. It is YOU who said it. The PROOF is that in my message one can only find a fact on BBC's speech restriction imposed on announcers.

It is all your interpretaion and I just simply stated a fact on their usage of English.
J   Monday, December 02, 2002, 17:07 GMT
Yes 'common' was my word, I merely equated what you said to it. But it let it stand, you still decry their accents.
Sybill   Monday, December 02, 2002, 17:46 GMT
God Rupert how arrogant can you be!!! It looks as if YOU YOU and ONLY YOU wants the whole of Britain to speak in RP. Whoever invented it needs to be shot! What makes Britain so diverse is the use of accents. You are insinuating that RP is better than regional accents. It is not at the most it has equal value.

Go back to your mansion and hibernate.
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 17:59 GMT
J,

I really don't think I provided any materials in that message that can be interpreted that I complain their accents are not RP.

If you think I worship some particular accents over others, that is not true. I enjoy listening to a variety of accents and, in my opinion, BBC should have more different regional and ethnic accents that describes today's modern Britain, as long as the accents sound reasonably intelligible to the viewer/listener.

Just bear in mind I'm not here to ostentatiously show my superior knowledge to anyone and I don't think I have such strong foundations in anything unlike others. I just come here and read others' posts such as yours and Simon's and if I can add something, I will just do so without any malicious intention.

It is true that my natural accent is RP since I could not choose my parents and my family at birth that spoke different accents. However, just like anybody else, having this accent per se does not make me an arrogant condescending person and I am not such a person. You do not have to judge anyone so easily in any case.
J   Monday, December 02, 2002, 18:06 GMT
I do not wish to judge you on your accent. But your messages are somewhat condescending, even compared to mine!
Rupert   Monday, December 02, 2002, 18:41 GMT
J,

I give up. There is no point of posting messages that will be misunderstood. I shall no longer post any message from now on. Adieu.
Ahmed   Monday, December 02, 2002, 19:50 GMT
J, u nag too much for no reasons cause u just think u r more intelligent than anybody. Rupert was factual and logical as usual in his message. thats his style. hes also polite. hes a smart ass. he answered all my questions. always straight to the point. u just kept nagging until he gave up. in all the threads, u behave like this showing ur very trivail knowledge to others. u gotta understand there r more clever ppl than u, girl. hey Rupert, dont go just ignore J if she gets on ur nerve. i wanted to ask u something but forgot.
J   Monday, December 02, 2002, 21:39 GMT
Please don't go Rupert, I promise to be nice. Honestly.

Ahmed you are a misogynist and chauvanist fool.
Clare   Tuesday, December 03, 2002, 11:55 GMT
J,

You completely misunderstand Rupert. He is a true English gentleman who is kind, sincere, well mannered and helpful with a well rounded personality. Needless to say, he is extremely intelligent, who's proved a big theorem on semi groups only at the age 21.

He replied to my email immeidately and we voice chatted for a few hours last night. He speaks the most beautiful English and perfect French!!!!! Really amazing!

If you look at his homepage, you will be more than surprised to know what kind of person he is. I downloaded all his published papers and mp3 files where he plays many different versions of Chopin's piano music if they were modified by Beethoven, Brahms, Mozart and Eminem! Hilarious.

Anyway, it's a pity you could not read his messages without a twisted mind. Sorry if my English has mistakes. Bye
Simon   Tuesday, December 03, 2002, 12:03 GMT
So what's Rupert's homepage then?