American

Rob   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 14:28 GMT
Simon,

I honestly think you have a problem with Americans. I just said my impression of British people from my experience living in Britain. Do you want me to lie the British are warm and honest? You can't change someone's impression. I don't ask you to change your nasty comment on the USA which you admittedly made before. Don't take it personally.
Simon   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 14:44 GMT
It's true we're not particularly warm but that's the same for most Northern European cultures. But the honesty thing surprises me. Every person of every nationality I have met have described Americans as superficially friendly but that the friendliness doesn't last long. I find British people very honest compared to other cultures, except Germans and Scandinavians.

Really, what do you mean by sly? I would have thought that we were too honest, this honesty often being mistaken for rudeness.

But to be fair to you, I don't live there anymore because in the end I couldn't stand it. I escaped to Belgium and I'm not going back for all the tea in China.
Ahmed   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 15:21 GMT
theres no point of calling american english american. its just a dialect. its fundamentally identical to the rest of english dialects. the same language. except some pronunciation and spelling, theres no difference. an ass is an ass even if its a fat lard one. dont u get it?
Stu NC   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:02 GMT
Calling American English just American is great!
Theo Murpse   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:05 GMT
Jeff said:

"I agree American English should be called American. Simon barks like a coward dog. Pathetic."

Simon called Jeff a racist.

I have 1 question:
How is Jeff a racist? I am not seeing anything about race in Jeff's statement.
Simon   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:17 GMT
Ok, you're right but in all these American postings there is an undercurrent of superiority which I suspect is linked to a view that British people are inferior to Americans. That's a kind of a racism.

Jeff's comment drew upon an earlier comment about Tony Blair and was meant to form a single snapshot of British people as dogs.

More than anything, his posting was just plain unpleasant.
Stu NC   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:28 GMT
Simon,

Don't you just like us Americans?
Stu NC   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:34 GMT
It's difficult to regard Tony Blair as an equal to George Bush via media. Blair looks like an MD to CEO Bush. Maybe, over there in Britain, it's different. I don't know.
Simon   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:45 GMT
Look I like Americans. You may like your brother but are you always nice, even polite with him? I like lots of things about American culture (I can bore you with a list on request) and a lot of Americans and their ideas. But with globalisation, we have you in our face a lot more than you have us in your face. All people want to be free. We are no different. As a freedom loving country, you should understand that.

Yes, we are an American satellite. Tony Blair is subordinate to the authority of Washington. No disrespect to Americans but we are not free.

If you want to call it American, please do so, as it will be a small step in putting us back on the road to freedom and self-determination.
Stu NC   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:58 GMT
Simon,

OK, I understand where you stand. I have a question. If you want to be free, why don't you do so? Are we forcing you to follow us? We never blackmain you to buy our products etc. It's up to you to follow the USA or not, right. Many countries choose not to follow us.
Stu NC   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 16:58 GMT
That's blackmail not blackmain. misspelt. sorry.
J   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 18:24 GMT
I think Simons is essentially right. America can do what it likes, and so should the UK. But why are the Americans in here so against Simon? All he said is that if the US wanted to rename English 'American', it ought to do so, and that Britain ought to be accorded the same such freedoms. I think many Americans do not understand the way in which their government subordinizes (I think I just coined that) other countries.

Oh, hell. I think I have to agree with Ahmed. American English is just a dialect of English, nothing more.
Sybill   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 18:42 GMT
Support for Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many americans who believe they are superior in this world. When going to London you can always count on a loud fat american waddling down the road and talking at 140 decibals LETS SEE THE BUCKINGHAM PALACE!! I mean you americans are so in your face!!
You say that English people are sly and cold if you give the meaning of this then you will be understood better since you hav
Sybill   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 18:42 GMT
Support for Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are many americans who believe they are superior in this world. When going to London you can always count on a loud fat american waddling down the road and talking at 140 decibals LETS SEE THE BUCKINGHAM PALACE!! I mean you americans are so in your face!!
You say that English people are sly and cold if you give the meaning of this then you will be understood better since you haven't given the meaning of your metaphor. You dont make yourself clear unlike most americans who make themselves perfectly clear and well heard.
Why are you here anyway Rob?? Sod off back to america if you hate it so much, we didnt invite you to come, you came because you needed to or wanted to. If you dont like it lump it and sod off you sanctimonious piece of shite.
Jack   Wednesday, December 04, 2002, 19:28 GMT
American def sounds cool!