Difference between everyone / everybody...

Valentin Cognito   Sunday, April 06, 2003, 10:40 GMT
Hi !
Can someone (somebody ? :o) explain the difference between everyone and everybody ?
I already checked in my dictionary but it seems there's no different meaning.

And if someone is "brave" enough to explain anyone/anybody, someone/somebody and everything else you can think of.
All the sheep   Sunday, April 06, 2003, 12:51 GMT
you also have everything, something and anything
SHW to Valentin   Sunday, April 06, 2003, 15:28 GMT
To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between everyone/everybody, someone/somebody and anyone/anybody. At least not as far as any rules of grammar or usage are concerned.

If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me. The real difference is that "someone" sounds more sophisticated than "somebody." The same applies for "anyone" and "everyone." The versions that use "one" instead of "body" tend to sound more sophisticated. But also, I think the "body" versions sound more intimate and personable. Friendly and down to earth. So that would be a matter of the context in which you're using the word.

If you're speaking at a dinner party, you might want to use "someone" almost exclusively. If you're simply with an intimate gathering of close friends, using "somebody" might reinforce the atmosphere.
Valentin Cognito   Sunday, April 06, 2003, 17:26 GMT
Thank you.
Jim   Monday, April 07, 2003, 06:31 GMT
There are two differences between "everyone"/"someone"/"anyone" and "everybody"/"somebody"/"anybody": spelling and pronunciation. seriously though you can use them interchangably but it's interesting what SHW wrote. I'd never thought much about any distinction but I think that SHW may be right with respect to the different contexts the words are used in.
cmhiv   Monday, April 07, 2003, 06:46 GMT
"someone" and "anyone" sound more sophistcated then their "-body" counterparts, but each are interchangeable.
mjd   Monday, April 07, 2003, 06:50 GMT
I agree. "Body" is more informal.
latter John to Valentin   Monday, April 07, 2003, 13:38 GMT
I recall a texbook that suggested that in a passive sentence 'everybody' was to be used rather than 'everyone'(?) (this was long ago).

But for certain, depends on whether these words are connected to non-tangible or tangible, eg. 'everyone thinks so', compared to 'everybody in this street has a car''

Also, 'everyone' has a connotaition of 'vague all' to it, as 'everybody' is stronger, as if counting every individual in 'all' (as said earlier, is more inimate, more pointed).

Ps. This is not to contrast what has gone before, but rather to add to it.