Any questions about the German language ???

Antonio   Tuesday, April 29, 2003, 12:41 GMT
I have a doubt on the usage of ´nach´... Can it always be used as the English ´after´?

I gehe nach (zu) Berlin.

But, Can it be used in the sense of ´after time´, ´after a event or person´?
z.B: I go after you.
it happened 5 min. after you left.
Daniel   Tuesday, April 29, 2003, 20:27 GMT
Hi, Antonio!! Well, as you correctly said, it can be used as in your first sentence : Ich gehe nach (not "zu") Berlin. When the destination is a person,though, you cannot use "nach" but you have to use "zu" or its inflected forms : *Ich gehe nach meiner Oma - instead you have to say : Ich gehe zu meiner Oma. *Ich gehe nach dem Arzt : Ich gehe zum (zu dem) Arzt.
If, however, the destination is a town, a region, a direction or a country, you use "nach" in most cases : Ich gehe nach Amerika - but: Ich gehe in die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika (this rule doesn't really make sense but it's a fact :-( ) If the destination is a smaller object or place,e.g. a statue or a well, you use "zu" : Ich gehe zum Brunnen.

The other thing you referred to was "nach" in terms of time- yes, perfectly correct : Ich gehe nach dir.
Unfortunately you have to use "nachdem" in your last sentence : Es geschah(or passierte) fünf Minuten nachdem du gegangen warst.
Other examples : Come and see me after the lesson : Kommen Sie bitte nach der Unterrichtsstunde zu mir.
So, after and nach are more or less the same in both languages- there are some exceptions but to my mind, one just has to learn them-they< make no sense (In English, e.g. one also has to learn by hard that it is"to be good at" and not "in" but "to be interested in" not "at")
I hope that I could help you. If you have further questions, just ask :-)
KT   Thursday, May 01, 2003, 02:47 GMT
Are there any good German-English dictionaries online that have audio files for each word like dictionary.msn.com does for English?
to Jean   Friday, May 02, 2003, 18:27 GMT
German might be the only language where nouns get a capital letter, but old English also used to be that way (supposedly). And English is probably the only other language where the first person subject pronound (I) is captilised ;)

If it was you who posted that 'heil Hitler' you should know he died ... quite a while ago ... so greeting him doesn't really help.
to Jean   Friday, May 02, 2003, 18:29 GMT
German might be the only language where nouns get a capital letter, but old English also used to be that way (supposedly). And English is probably the only other language where the first person subject pronoun (I) is captilised ;)

If it was you who posted that 'heil Hitler' you should know he died ... quite a while ago ... so greeting him doesn't really help.
cmhiv   Friday, May 02, 2003, 19:53 GMT
Old English ceased to be spoken before rules like that were in place (capitalising nouns, that is). Danish used to do the same thing until spelling reforms of 1948.
Antonio   Saturday, May 03, 2003, 19:55 GMT
Thanks for the Help!
MB   Thursday, May 15, 2003, 23:13 GMT
I've never heard Scheißt du before for Fuck yourself, only Fick dich.
Wouldn't it be Scheßt dich? Du is only used as the subject and not the object. Thats like saying Fuck I instead of Fuck me.
To MB   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 17:39 GMT
Hi, I don't think that either expression exists in German : you can say
"Fick dich" or "Fick dich ins Knie" (fuck yourself in your knee - very strange)
"Verpiss dich" (Piss off)...
KT   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 18:08 GMT
How do you say "Do me big boy" in German?
..   Saturday, May 17, 2003, 19:25 GMT
Q: How do you say 'What is your name?' in German.
A: 'What is your name in German?'
To ..   Sunday, May 18, 2003, 19:10 GMT
Depending on whom you are speaking to, you say "Wie heißen Sie?" (to a person you either don't know or with whom you do not have any profound relation/ as a child you have to use it speaking to adults) or "Wie heißt du?"

To KT : I'm not quite sure about the implications of your sentence but I guess you'd say :"Los, besorg's mir, mein Großer!"
Es lebe die deutsche Sprache!   Monday, May 19, 2003, 09:30 GMT
Je suis français et j'adore la langue allemande.
Especially the German that's spoken around Meissen & Leipzig: it is so rounded, so beautiful.

Moreover I love German in opera: it's almost as beautiful as Italian.

"Ich weiB, es wäre einmal ein Winder gesche'n", etc etc
Nina hagen a repris cet air célèbre. Il est vraiment super.

Danke Deutschland für die deutsche Sprache (même si je préfère le français...).