'Yes' or 'No'

Simon   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 07:21 GMT
Corea is a disease isn't it?
mjd   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 07:29 GMT
"Chorea" is the disease, but in some languages (Portuguese for example), Korea is spelled with a C. I've never seen it spelled with a C in English.
mjd   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 07:33 GMT
Oops..I hadn't read the article on the link Jim provided....interesting; I never knew that.
Simon   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 07:46 GMT
I'm not sure. Are C's used in the transliteration of Asian languages in English on their own. For example we have China but Korea. Maybe the academic tradition at the time preferred K to avoid confusion.

Still a year or two ago, the country names at a UN meeting were put in French so the United States and the United Kingdom did not have to sit next to the badboy of the time Ukraine. In French, they are États-Unis and Royaume-Uni and Oukraine. So anything's possible.
Simon   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 07:55 GMT
Having read the article, I will now use Corea rather than Korea as much as possible.
MunchkinLad   Tuesday, May 06, 2003, 17:53 GMT
Spread the word - or is it initial letter? ;)

Back to the original topic, I suppose you can answer the question the way you say - although I still think negative questions are a bit ambiguous...
Adam   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 11:51 GMT
Why should you only ask a question in the positive? That's rubbish!

someone might say "I am not marrying her!"
then the reply to that might be "Oh no! You are not marrying her?"

If all questions should be in the positive then something silly happens:

"I am not marrying her!"

then the reply would be "Oh no! You are marrying her?" Silly.

Obviously some questions MUST be in the negative.
Adam   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 11:54 GMT
"Chorea" isn't a disease. "Cholera" is a disease.
MunchkinLad   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 18:00 GMT
If someones just said "I am not marrying her!", then presumably the question "Oh no! You are not marrying her?" is rhetorical, so it doesn't matter if it's ambiguous ;)
mjd   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 18:14 GMT
Adam,

Cholera is a disease as is the separate disease Chorea...also known as "Syndenham's Chorea" or more popularly, "St. Vitus' Dance."
Adam   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 18:23 GMT
mjd, I love you!
do you wanna fuck my ass?
MunchkinLad   Wednesday, May 07, 2003, 18:26 GMT
what? Adam?
mjd is mine! he wants to fuck my asshole
KT   Thursday, May 08, 2003, 15:34 GMT
Again negation questions are unavoidable.
If you turn a negative question into a positive one the meaning becomes different.

If you see your kid staying up late at night, you can ask him "Aren't you tired?" or "Are you tired?" "Aren't you tired" implies you think he should be tired but "are you tired" doesn't have this implication.
Kabam   Sunday, May 11, 2003, 13:26 GMT
When I'm asked : "Aren't you hungry" ?
I'm used to answering "I am" or "I'm not'.
This is much clearer this way, I think.