Friends sitcom

Clark   Sunday, June 22, 2003, 02:44 GMT
"Friends" is very popular in America, but I am not too sure about Britain.
Boy   Sunday, June 22, 2003, 19:18 GMT
I like watching "Friends" as well. It's funny but not so funny. A good try, though. I like to watch a girl who is very slim and looks quite older as compare to other two girls.
tana   Sunday, June 22, 2003, 20:02 GMT
Yes, she is almost 40. But, others are not that young neither. there are 30 something.
Jim   Sunday, June 22, 2003, 23:48 GMT
... and they act as if they are 13 or 14 ... okay, I'll shut up about this show but I can't understand why anybody would want to watch it.
xerxes   Monday, June 23, 2003, 06:47 GMT
Because it's so stupide !
Andy   Monday, June 23, 2003, 07:29 GMT
Friends is pretty popular in Britain too. The girl who played Emily, as far as I can remember, had a standard south eastern English accent - the one you'd most likely hear if you visited London. Daphne in 'Frasier' does have a very strange accent. I don't know if that's because she has been in America for a long time, or because of the contrast with the American accents, but I found it very difficult to identify.

I would have to agree that the cast are really too old for the roles they are playing now, but 'Friends' was very funny a few years ago. I think the funniest American comedy at the moment (apart from 'the Simpsons' and 'Futurama') is 'Scrubs'.

Fisher - having taught English for a while in Russia, I think the reason you find American accents easier is because most of the teaching in Russia is based on TOEFL which is an American English based system. The majority of Russians I have known speak English with an American accent. If you spent some time in Britain you'd soon get familiar with the British accent. I think you'd also find that the British, at least in the South, tend to speak English fairly clearly.
xerxes   Monday, June 23, 2003, 08:53 GMT
Sorry "stupid"
abcd   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 05:39 GMT
Although, I read about 'sex and the city'it in French media, I've never seen it ? what kind of sit com is it ? Like gossipy ? Girls talking about men ?
Bayou Rover   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 07:33 GMT
I prefer to watch high comedey instead of slapsticks.
game to Bayou Rover   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 08:29 GMT
Please give me some examples of "the high comedey" on American TV.
game to Bayou Rover   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 08:46 GMT
Please give me some examples of "the high comedey" on American TV.
hayel   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 09:18 GMT
I hope to learn English and becom speaker .
to hayel   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 11:40 GMT
speaker for what ? or for who ?
Bayou Rover   Wednesday, June 25, 2003, 14:40 GMT
Some examples of high comedy are “An Ideal Husband” and “The Brogue”, in my opinion at least.
chantal   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 03:47 GMT
Do you mean Oscar Wilde's ?