How many languages?

Kabam   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:24 GMT
I'm a Bachelier but I make more grammar mistake than Tabisora.
As for your English, Chantal, one could believe you're a native!!!
Tabisora   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:27 GMT
Yeah, I passed "le bac de français", but since this year we also have maths and sciences. A recent reform of the government to lighten the second part of the "bac".

Like Kabam, at first I believed you were a native.
chantal   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 07:46 GMT
Thank you Kabam and Tabisora
Je suis très touchée.

Tabisora, What do the Quebecois mean by "gang" in the post you sent earlier ? is it the English word for 'équipe' (association de malfaiteurs, bande organisée) ?

"on a vu un GANG sur la place"
chantal   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 08:57 GMT
Another question :
Do French people still use "mettre une lettre à la malle" meaning to post a letter ? It looks like 'dated' to me.
Tabisora   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 09:33 GMT
No, WE mean "association de malfaiteurs" by "gang", that's why it sounded funny to me when some Quebecois said "on a vu un gang sur la place". It was actually just a group of bored tennagers fiddling around.

"mettre une lettre à la malle"? Never heard of it. Either it's dated or it's Quebecois!
Did you read it in a novel or something?
Kabam   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 12:24 GMT
I say either "je vais mettre une lettre à la poste" or "je vais poster une lettre".
"Mettre une lettre à la malle" is Quebecois, I assume, since they say "boite à malle" instead of "boite aux lettres".
Guofei Ma   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 18:04 GMT
British:
Post a letter; postbox; letterbox

American:
Mail a letter; mailbox

Geographic differences- British : French :: American : Quebecois
BABA   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 18:45 GMT
Hi,

For me, I think you must go step-by-step. Learning a foreigner language is not easy. As a advice, it would be best you master one.

good luck
BaBa   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 18:55 GMT
Hi,

I would like to tell you it is possible, but I also think it would be best to master one of them. So learning a foreigner language takes a daily practice. Do you have plenty time to practice those languages in the same time? Then, as an advice, go step-by-step and you will see your progress.

good luck

BABA
baba   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 18:56 GMT
Hi,

I would like to tell you it is possible, but I also think it would be best to master one of them. So learning a foreigner language takes a daily practice. Do you have plenty time to practice those languages in the same time? Then, as an advice, go step-by-step and you will see your progress.

good luck

BABA