Accents in American Movies

G B   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 18:02 GMT

I am an American English and pronunciation teacher in India. I want to know about various accents used in American movies.

Can Americans help me. I need information as "the character A in the movie B speaks/uses C accent" with some more explanation.

I will really appreciate the help. Thanks.

thomas   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 21:21 GMT
Could you please ask your questions A, B, C more clearly ?

Can Americans help me. I need information as "the character A in the movie B speaks/uses C accent" with some more explanation.
hp20   Friday, June 20, 2003, 12:13 GMT
think s/he means like this:

"john travolta uses a brooklyn accent in saturday night fever"...?
Kabam   Friday, June 20, 2003, 12:16 GMT
Which sort of accent has Gandalf ? What about Sarouman ?
hp20   Friday, June 20, 2003, 17:04 GMT
just about all of the characters in fargo use the minnewegian accent...it's part of what gives the movie some humor.
gandalf   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 01:52 GMT
gandalf doesn't use an american accent. it sounds english to me. the same for saruman.
Clark   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 02:11 GMT
They all have RP accents, with slights hints of their own regional accents. The most noteable accent is Sean Bean's Yorkshire/Sheffield accent coming through in his RP.
hp20   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 02:31 GMT
their accents struck me as all pretty different--not real obviously, but enough. that could just be cuz i've watched those movies about 5 million times.
Clark   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 04:22 GMT
You have to remember that they are using different voices than what they normally use (Aragorn's accent for example; a cross between a Canadian, American and Englishman). And all of the Australians and New Zealanders use an RP accent as well.
chantal   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 11:34 GMT
What accent does (if any) Homer Simpsons use ?
hp20   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 12:12 GMT
i'd say whatever accent passes for "standard" in america...he doesn't have an accent that's really associated with any one city or region, his is pretty...i dunno...normal. some of the characters on the simpsons DO have accents, though, like fat tony or moe...wow i watch too much of that show...
sam   Saturday, June 21, 2003, 20:28 GMT
What accent does 'Nanny' use in "the Nanny".
An American told me that she uses a Jewish New Yorker female accent. Is it true ? Her accent is nasal too.
Heaven   Sunday, June 22, 2003, 00:26 GMT
What accent mr. Shefield uses in "the Nanny" ?
GB   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 17:17 GMT

I REALLY need more help on this issue. PLEASE!! See the first message in this thread, which I started.

In my pronunciation classes, I show American movies, but I cannot tell exactly which accent is used by an actor.

Perhaps someone can recommend particular characters in particular movies for particular American accents.

Thanks in advance!

mjd   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 23:43 GMT
It's difficult to go through all of the accents according to movies. Are there any movies in particular that you have questions about?