Accent uploading

wingyellow   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 23:24 GMT
Guofei Ma,

Employers in HK judge people on their ages. I am 23. I believe your dad is 40 something. A master degree actually does not do any good to your dad, especially when the field is linguistics. People in HK don't care how they speak!

People in HK don't listen to English at all (they love reading Chinese subtitles), so they are not able to tell the difference between a native speaker and me. As a result, I didn't really have the motivation to make my accent better until now when it suddenly becomes my hobby.
mjd   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 00:29 GMT
How do you guys record these samples? I have no clue how to do it.
Guofei Ma   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 01:45 GMT
Wingyellow, you were telling us that your ability to speak good English resulted in a good job and millions of dollars (HK$?) for your company. Then, you said that people in HK don't care how one speaks at all!

Consider my father: He speaks English with an accent that is almost 50% American, 50% British and 0% Asian. He is also very fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, and Shanghainese, and can speak a bit of German, Japanese, and Taiwainese. Even though he got a degree in linguistics, he worked for many years in various trading companies in the U.S. and Taiwan before returning to Hong Kong and working for yet another trading company that went bankrupt in 1997. However, after the last-mentioned company went bankrupt, my father wasn't able to find a job in Hong Kong and we had to emigrate to the United States! Did all potential employers turn him out just because he passed the age 40 mark? In my opinion, experience is just as important as youthful energy.

I believe that you are either talented in many fields (not just in speaking English) or have had some very good luck.
Ryan   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 01:46 GMT
You have to go into Sound Recorder in Windows. You need a microphone too. Then, you save it as an MPEG layer.

Ryan
Guofei Ma   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 01:48 GMT
Mjd, Microsoft Windows comes with a tool called "Sound Recorder". Go to Start- Programs- Accessories- Entertainment- Sound Recorder. Then, plug in a microphone, check your computer's Master Volume control to make sure that the Microphone control is not muted, record yourself, and save the recording.
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 02:24 GMT
Get a mic and stick it to your computer. Use the recording program you installed when you installed Windows.
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 03:45 GMT
Guofei Ma,

Age does matter in Hong Kong. And his talent will be a threat to people in managerial position with an accent worse than mine. Yes, people are selfish, jealous and ugly.

I meant people don't care if you are "perfect" as long as you can speak a foreign language. And it is in HK dollar.

In a Chinese community, interpersonal connection is of the utmost importance. I think your dad case has less to do with luck or ability than personal network. I bet he has spent quite a lot of time outside the country to erase all the asian accent at the expense of having fewer chances to build a network.

And I have my own network and, of course, luck.
Ashley   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 14:11 GMT
How do you upload your accent into antimoon?
Alejandro   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 20:18 GMT
Hi!

Well, I already have got my accent in a WAV file, now, what is next?
How do I upload my file to antimoon?

Thks.
Ryan   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 20:27 GMT
You should convert your wav file into an mp3. It takes up less space.

Ryan
Alex   Friday, August 15, 2003, 15:14 GMT
Why my last message in this topic does not appear anymore?
And I still do not have any answer about how to upload my mp3 file.
Thanks for your kindness.
Alex
Tom   Friday, August 15, 2003, 15:46 GMT
I'll upload your file later.
Please do not post Antimoon's e-mail address to this forum.
Antonio   Friday, August 15, 2003, 19:42 GMT
Tom*:

How do we get you to upload our samples, if you donĀ“t give us your e-mail?
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 20:45 GMT
It's on the site here. I think he just doesn't want you to put it on the board as spam surfers like to pick up email address off of discussion boards but rarely look at the rest of the site.

Ryan
Tom   Friday, August 15, 2003, 21:57 GMT
Precisely.