How do you pronounce "antimoon"?

Max   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 09:49 GMT
Now I pronounce it as [@n tai 'mu:n].

Since I am not a native speaker of English, I am not sure whether or not my pronunciation of this word is correct.
Simon   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 10:24 GMT
That's American English. I pronounce it (as do most British people) [@n ti: 'mu:n].
Tom   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 10:49 GMT
['@n ti(:) mu:n] in both British and American English, where i(:) is the last vowel in "very".
Simon   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 12:49 GMT
This is not official because of course it's a made up name but I put the stress on the first syllable (I made a mistake above).
Ryan   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 13:16 GMT
Actually, Max's pronunciation is much more common in the US. I hardly hear anyone say "an-tee" here. It sounds like you're talking about your mother's sister and not that you are against something. I think "an-ti:" is more commonly British. The "an-tai" pronunciation is the one listed first in both the Merriam-Webster and American Heritage dictionaries

Ryan
Guofei Ma   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 14:14 GMT
Your mother's sister? I call her /a:nt/ or /'a:nti:/. Antimoon? /'@ntimu:n/ for me.
Ashley   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 14:24 GMT
I pronounce it @ntai mu:n
wingyellow   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 14:24 GMT
The difference in pronunciations of a in fast was a cultural shock for me.

People in HK say fa:st, while people on TV say f@st.

Nowadays, I use both of them, even though it is a bad habit. That's because people in HK don't understand @ but I think @ is cool.
Simon   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 14:52 GMT
People from Newcastle pronounce it Newc@stle. They get very upset with southern English people like me pronouncing it Newca:stle. In the north of England, they are wont to pronounce AUNTY and BrE ANTI- as the same. I always imagine Auntie Moon, as being the aunt of Alfie Moon in Eastenders.
Ryan   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 15:43 GMT
a:nt or a:nti: is how people on the east coast of the United States pronounce the word for aunt. Us midwesterners think it just sounds wrong. We use @

Really upper-class people pronounce it almost like /ont/

Ryan
Ashley   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 15:48 GMT
I agree with you Ryan, I live in Minnesota, and nobody really says ant for aunt.
Ashley
mjd   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 20:25 GMT
Here in New Jersey the majority of people pronounce "aunt" the same as "ant." I never say "ont."
deaptor   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 21:01 GMT
wingyellow,
> The difference in pronunciations of a in fast was a cultural shock for me.
I always thought that /fa:st/ is British and /f@st/ is American.
Guofei Ma   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 21:39 GMT
Deaptor, Hong Kong was a British colony and therefore, most Hong Kong residents are better exposed to British pronunciations such as /fa:st/.
Rugger   Friday, August 15, 2003, 07:21 GMT
I pronounce aunt somewhat like "ahhnt" (not "ont") and anti (antimoon) as antee just as semi (semi final) would be pronounced as semee, and I pronounce ant in the way mjd and other Americans would pronounce aunt. It's all very confusing!