Letzeburgesch

Jamie On   Tuesday, September 09, 2003, 18:19 GMT
Hi, I thought I would ask your opinion - should I learn this language? I already speak German and French and I receive 3 TV channels in Letz. I have been to the country (briefly) and I love it! But surely there is a lack of learning materials. Has anyone else tried to learn this language?

Any opinions warmly welcome. :- )
Julian   Thursday, September 11, 2003, 06:17 GMT
If you have the time to kill and money to spare, then why not? Though, I think it would be tough to find any Letzeburgesch language courses outside of Luxembourg. I once met a Luxembourger who told me that although most Luxembourgers speak Letzeburgesch (or Luxembourgish), it's not really taught in higher education and everybody communicates in French or German anyway. She seemed to feel that it was a big waste of time for foreigners to learn the language. Though I think it would be cool to visit and surprise the natives with your knowledge of their their mother tongue.
Simon   Thursday, September 11, 2003, 07:35 GMT
Yes, there isn't much though you could always go to live in Luxembourg; There are language courses in the country. It's not pointless if you want to get to know Luxembourgers and if you learn it well they will appreciate it, i.e. there is only a human value.
Jamie On   Thursday, September 11, 2003, 13:32 GMT
lol, I agree with what you have said... To me the language sounds like one of the German dialects, which in some way it is.. And the point about getting to know the people is very true, from what I have experienced, the letz' people are a nice bunch.

In general I don't think it's a waste of time to learn it, knowing ger and fr already should def. save time. It's only a question of if I should spend the time on other languages (Chi, Swahili and Hindi) which I am only at a basic level in...

Thanks for info though, bye.
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 00:08 GMT
One of my French teachers from high school was from Luxembourg, and she said that the people are starting to get a little worried about their language because their are a lot of immigrants, mainly from Portugal, who are coming to Luxembourg, but not learning Luxembourgish.

Has anyone heard anything like this?
A.S.C.M.   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:21 GMT
Hmmm...Luxembourgers, odd people. They seem to be strangely fond of absolutism- perhaps the only people in the western world who desire an absolute monarch. Plus, that monarch had got the nerve to ask his people do grant him absolute power. What right-minded European leader in any country other than Luxembourg would do that?
wingyellow   Friday, September 12, 2003, 06:56 GMT
Time is money! We Hong Konger believe this way.
If you spend time on a useless language just for fun, you waste your time, because you cannot spend the time on something else more important.
Simon   Friday, September 12, 2003, 10:21 GMT
Most of the Portuguese live in a village called Larochette. The Luxembourgers call it Mario City. The complaint seems to be based on the fact that unlike the vast numbers of Italian immigrants, the Portuguese don't integrate and participate in Luxembourgish life and simply return to Portugal at the end.

But even French people and French-speaking Belgiums come to live in Luxembourg and just speak French which is impolite. Luxembourgers expectations in terms of level are not high - it is just a question of not having to speak a foreign language in their own country. Germans, I understand are more interested to learn the language for obvious reasons.

According to the UN classification, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg is a despot. His wife is Cuban but he seems nice enough.

wingyellow, I agree.
Simon (correction)   Friday, September 12, 2003, 10:31 GMT
Belgians not Belgiums.
Jamie On   Friday, September 12, 2003, 12:28 GMT
Yeah, I already knew about Por and It workers in Lux. It's a shame that they only want to take money away from their experience in Lux., or only have the time to work.
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 18:45 GMT
Wingcoward, go to hell, mate. I can spend my time learning what ever languages I want to.

Have you ever heard of literature? The Classics? Is having a desire to read the Classics a waste of time?
Clark   Friday, September 12, 2003, 18:46 GMT
Also, there is so much poetry to be found in other languages like Gaelic, Danish, Portuguese, Italian, Latin, Greek, Russian, Chinese, etc...
Julian   Friday, September 12, 2003, 21:33 GMT
wingyellow -- All this talk about money. Is this the mentality of all Hong Kongers? Don't you guys ever just want to do something for the sheer enjoyment of it, like take up a hobby, play a sport, read a good book? This obsession with money and material gain seems so unhealthy. You know that old adage, "All work and no play..."

A.S.C.M. --

>>They seem to be strangely fond of absolutism- perhaps the only people in the western world who desire an absolute monarch. Plus, that monarch had got the nerve to ask his people do grant him absolute power. What right-minded European leader in any country other than Luxembourg would do that? <<

Don't forget the Holy See (Vatican City), a "country" that will never give up its absolute monarchy. Anyway, Luxembourg is a charming little country with a strong economy and low crime rate. If the people want an absolute monarch, then I guess the democratic thing to do would be to give them what they want.
wingyellow   Saturday, September 13, 2003, 00:18 GMT
To whom it may concern,

I am not your mate. Chinese people are not cowards. We shed blood and suffer the pain when we have to. French people chicken out and beg for help.

Just because you cannot make a lot of money out of your hobbies doesn't mean that making money is not a game itself.
Clark   Saturday, September 13, 2003, 02:30 GMT
You are one stubborn person. I get a good laugh whne I read what you have to write.

I am going to try hard not to respnd to you anymore because there is no point. But no guaranties because I might just feel strongly about something.