Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 21:48 GMT
What does this word mean? It's common to hear people talk about this word about how to spell it, how many words you can find in it, but what does it mean?
mjd   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 21:53 GMT
It's just a nonsense word from "Mary Poppins."
Super   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 21:57 GMT
So supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was just a made up word that all the sudden a lot of people started to talk about and it got a spelling, I use to think that it was the longest word in the english language, but there are other words longer than it, a lot of the longer ones are diseases.
Super   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 22:00 GMT
So, that means it's not really a word but since it's talked about a lot, it has been given a spelling and is included in the list of some of the longest english words?
sima   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 23:24 GMT
Super
can you tell us a longer word in English ? I always thought English words, comparing to German words are not too long.
Chantal   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 23:28 GMT
I learnt this long French word :
**anticonstitutionellement**
But of course my French is too poor and there might be longer words.
A.S.C.M.   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 23:53 GMT
If "Anticonsitutionellement" is a long word in French, then I would say that French is a language of rather short words, eh?

According to Askoxford.com, the longest word currently in the Oxford English Dictionary is the supposed lung-disease "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" (45 letters) but some editions of the Guiness Book of Records mention "aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic" (52 letters), which is even longer.
A.S.C.M.   Saturday, October 11, 2003, 23:56 GMT
By saying that French is a language of short words, I do not mean to say that French is a language of short sentences. Rules of French language construction often result in long-winded sentences with more than enough occasions of "de".
Super   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 02:39 GMT
Which word is the shortest word in the english language, a or I? answer, a, because I is spelled with a capital letter.
mjd   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 06:57 GMT
I'll always remember learning "antidisestablishmentarianism" when I was a little kid.
Bayou Rover   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 11:22 GMT
What about "PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS"?
It is some sort of lung disease and it is a forty-five letters.
A.S.C.M   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 17:51 GMT
Eh? Another redundant post! Bayou Rover, can't you see that I mentioned the exact same word with 45 letters in my entry above?
Bayou Rover   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 18:32 GMT
LOL, forgive me I must've been not focusing on your post as I tend to read first posts only...Well everwhich now...
Jay   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 18:37 GMT
do prefixes and suffixes count? Because, with them, couldn't many words be of infinite length?
Super   Sunday, October 12, 2003, 18:41 GMT
They're can't possibly be an infinitely long word, it wouldn't even be possible to say the word.