words easily confused/please ask your questions here.

yalda   Monday, November 24, 2003, 14:42 GMT
What is the difference between an exercise book and a notebook ?
Do students use an exercise book to write their homework in ? or a notebook ?
Julian   Monday, November 24, 2003, 17:13 GMT
From the American Heritage dictionary:

exercise book -
NOUN: A booklet for use by students, usually containing problems or exercises and blank space for writing answers or practicing a lesson.

notebook -
NOUN: 1. A book of blank pages for notes. 2. A light, portable computer that is generally thinner than a laptop.

(Although, personally, I've never used the term "exercise book" unless I'm describing a manual on fitness. I usually call a student's booklet of exercises and problems a "workbook.")
Yalda   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 22:36 GMT
Thanks Julien
Is "workbook" more American ?
Pooh   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 22:40 GMT
According to Oxford Advaced :
a workbook is a book for students that gives information on a subject together with excercises to help them to practise what they have leared.
Julien, is that what you mean by workbook ?
mjd   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 22:43 GMT
I'd say "workbook" is much more common here in the U.S. than "exercise book" (Like Julian, I'd never use that term unless I were describing a fitness manual).
Yalda   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 22:51 GMT
What I really mean is what in French is called 'un cahier' or 'un cahier d'exercice'. It's not an activity book as activity book, as far as I know is printed. It's a blank booklet in which you write your lessons, you solve your problems and sometimes you past your photocopies. But when you buy it, there is nothing printed in it. It's all blank.
I have the impression that in French we can define the word easier. Mybe I'm mistaken.
Julian   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 23:13 GMT
Yalda,
What you described sounds like a notebook or a journal. A notebook is where we write our lecture notes, lesson plans, problems, etc. A journal is what we usually use for Creative Writing class.
yalda   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 00:03 GMT
thank you for your help Julien.
sorry, in my last post I meant :
"Maybe" not "mybe".
Learner   Friday, November 28, 2003, 16:10 GMT
What is the difference between 'presently' and 'at the moment' ?
pooh   Friday, November 28, 2003, 16:12 GMT
Are "Sympathise" with someone and "like" someone the same ?
Zi   Friday, November 28, 2003, 16:17 GMT
Presently means after a short time. You say to someone through the phone : "I'll be with you presently".

At the moment and right no are the same. e.g, I'm am unemployed at the moment.
Eastie   Friday, November 28, 2003, 20:41 GMT
to pooh,
No they are not the same. To sympathise (AmE: sympathize) with someone means that you share or understand a person's feelings or ideas, or that you feel compassion for a person's unfortunate situation. To like someone means that you find that person pleasant, agreeable, or attractive.
Dorian   Friday, November 28, 2003, 21:02 GMT
How can we learn the opposit of these adjectives if we don't want to look them up in a dictionary ? Are there any rules ? I mean why "inexplicable" and not "unexplicable" ? Why "ingratitude" and not "ungratitude" ? ....etc.
appropriate...........................inappropriate
organised.............................disorganised
competent............................incompetent
convincing............................unconvincing
approve...............................disapprove
learner   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 18:53 GMT
How does an English teacher annouces the end of the lesson :
Time's over
class is finished
or something else ?
Dorian   Sunday, November 30, 2003, 10:31 GMT

How can we learn the opposit of these adjectives if we don't want to look them up in a dictionary ? Are there any rules ? I mean why "inexplicable" and not "unexplicable" ? Why "ingratitude" and not "ungratitude" ? ....etc.
appropriate...........................inappropriate
organised.............................disorganised
competent............................incompetent
convincing............................unconvincing
approve...............................disapprove