What is the correct way to pronounce 'Vitamins'?

Bob   Monday, December 15, 2003, 17:01 GMT
?
Richard   Monday, December 15, 2003, 17:46 GMT
Vie-tuh-mins
pobre_diablo   Monday, December 15, 2003, 18:57 GMT
VAI-tah-mins
Eastie   Monday, December 15, 2003, 19:12 GMT
The "correct" way??

AmE - [vait..mins]
BrE - ['vit..mins]
Jaro   Monday, December 15, 2003, 21:33 GMT
[vIt..mIns]
Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 00:46 GMT
There is no one correct way. I say ['vait..m.nz].
Vitamins   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 00:49 GMT
I think everyone says [vait..m.nz] I've never heard [vit..m.nz]
Re Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 00:53 GMT
There is no one correct way, does not mean you say that no word has a correct way to say it, So does that mean it's okay to pronounce ''dogs'' as [pigz] or [drugz]? I don't think so. Some words have a correct way to be said.
Re Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 00:54 GMT
I mean [dr^gz] not [drugz].
Re Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 00:56 GMT
And also, ''does that'' not ''does not''.
A.S.C.M.   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 02:44 GMT
There is no correct way. Mr. Vitamins, you have not heard your name pronounced differently because you have not travelled around the world.
Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 03:43 GMT
To Re Jim,

No, that's not what I wrote at all. When I wrote "There is no one correct way." I was referring to the word "vitamins" not to all words in general. I say ['vait..m.nz] others say ['vit..m.nz].

"Some words have a correct way to be said." you write. That's true enough. Other words have got more than one correct way to be said.
Eastie   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 06:40 GMT
Oops! Let me rephrase that...I say ['vait..minz], not ['vait..mins]. I've heard many Britons say ['vit..minz], and I assumed that was the way Commonwealth speakers pronounced it. But I guess Jim proved me wrong.
Simon   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 08:16 GMT
But they are not just arbitrarily pronounced differently. It is a loan word. So the British pronunciation reflects an approximation of the I from the loan word. The American and Australian pronunciations choose instead to pronounce according to typical English rules, ie. stressed long I open syllable = rhymes with PIE.

So the different pronunciations just reflect different choices.
Jim   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 23:58 GMT
Yeah,

I don't know why we've gone along with the Americans on this one. Aussie English is usually closer to British English than American English but there are a couple of exceptions.