Differences between American & British English

Paul   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 22:25 GMT
Yes Northern Ireland is Part of Britain ! and My BRITISH Passport says so
my Nationality is described as Being "BRITISH CITIZEN" there is a mix up from the words " Great Britain and " Britain " however i will take my line from the government in how they word the official terminlogy oK "GREAT BRITAIN IS ; ENGLAND , SCOTLAND ,WALES, OK GOT THAT THEN THESE 3 WITH NORTHERN IRELAND MAKE UP THE UNITED KINGDOM WHICH IS SOMETIMES CALLED AND SHORTED TO BRITAIN HENCE A "BRITISH " PASSPORT AND A "BRITISH" EMBASSY GOT THAT AND EVEN THE GOVERNMENT REFER TO THE UK MOSTLY AS "BRITAIN " = UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND THE FRONT COVER OF A BRITISH PASSPORT SAYS THIS ON THE FRONT COVER SO YES LIKE IT OR EVERYONE FROM N.IRELAND IS BRITISH LIKE OR NOT!!!
Sara   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 01:23 GMT
Eugenia- I know! It's terrible. Even with a tan I am more pale than most people. I could get really dark if I never wore sunblock and stayed outside all day, but then I would probably die of skin cancer, and have wrinkles at 40. So instead I settle for being barely tan and get teased for being so white. But hell, my ancestors were freaking scandinavians! why should I put my health at risk to be fashionable. It doesn't make any sense. I won't use those tanning creams either because they look orange and fake
Sara   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 15:16 GMT
Whatever you do, look after your skin and to **** with fashion. I saw a program about skin cancer on tv some time ago....not nice to say the least. I believe my ancestors were Vikings so we have something in common. :-)
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 15:18 GMT
Sara: I messed up with names on my last posting...as you see it was intended to be from me addressed to you.!! God, I'm stressed! Exams over soon! :-)
Jordi   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 15:36 GMT
I was just wondering whether someone from Northern Ireland wouldn't consider himself a Northern Irish. To me, of course, it would make a lot of geographical sense, at the very least.
Sara   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 16:19 GMT
Thanks Damian, its so nice to hear a guy say that : ) Don't worry about your post I understand the stress exams can cause I just finished school myself. Now I have to be a grownup and put my diploma to use. What are you studying?
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 20:31 GMT
Sara: I am ....erm.....sort of...erm....studying English! :-) When I finally grow up I hope to go into journalism.....I have the cheek and drive I guess. What did you study?
Sara   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 21:30 GMT
I figured you were studying English : ) but the journalism thing is what I was getting at- I think that journalism would be really fun, I bet you'll be very good at it. You are going to laugh but I'm actually a Massage Therapist. I stumbled onto this site looking for differences between American and British English because I may be traveling to London in the next few months for work and I wanted to understand British slang. How long have you been studying English?
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 22:51 GMT
Sara: Three years now...in middle of my finals....finish next week! Yippeeeee! Oh wow, Sara....what I would give for some of your massage therapy right now! :-) I won't laugh, I assure you.....merely smile contentedly! It's been hard work here at uni but loads of fun. I'm in England here but my home is in Scotland. At the same time I have been working (mainly weekends) as a checkout op in a supermarket...most students have to work at jobs to earn much needed money...just would not survive otherwise. Even that is fun..especially on Sundays...that's the day all the fun people seem to do their shopping...quite a laugh.

The British/American thread is really cool isn't it? I have met a few American students here at uni and sometimes we speak quite different languages! Embarrassing too at times....you know, I never realised that a rubber here means something totally different in America.

If you want help with British slang, just ask away...I promise not to get you into bad ways with ruse words. Hope you enjoy London. Why not venture north to Edinburgh? We'll gie ye a braw walcome to Auld Reekie.
Damian   Wednesday, June 02, 2004, 22:53 GMT
oops typo! for ruse read rude.....Cheers!
Eugenia   Thursday, June 03, 2004, 01:52 GMT
Sara: You are so right!!! But the fact is that I love how I look when I'm tanned, it makes you look more ''healthy'' and of course I know it's bad for our health and all that, but it's true, if u r not tanned you are sort of discriminated! well, not discriminated, but everyone will laugh at you if u r too pale, I have a friend who is as white as snow, and she turns pink when she sunbathes, (it's so funny), but well, what can she do? she won't risk herself and sunbathe for hours when she knows that will make her some kind of damage...My skin is darker than my friend's, I mean, neither black nor white, and so I don't mind if I am under the sun for hours and s I don't have much trouble If i want to follow the fashion...Anyway, there are other things I care about, for example, here in Argentina, EVERY girl HAS to be thin, shops make clothes for skinnes and if u want to buy something either you put yourslef on a diet or you have a liposuction!
well, I think I'm totally out of topic, rather go back to study! c u bye!
Sara   Friday, June 04, 2004, 08:13 GMT
Damian- Congratulations on being so close to graduation! I bet you are so psyched. If I'm ever in Edinburgh I'll be sure to give you a massage : ) I know what it's like working and going to school, when I was a student I went to school from 9:00 am to 5:40 pm on a good day and some days from 9:00 am to 10.40 pm. Then I would have to work. I still work at the same place that I did when I was a student. I am a waitress in a Thai restaurant, it's hard work but I love it. I will work there until I leave to practice massage full time. I just barely graduated so I am still in the process of deciding where I want to go. I may be in London soon if I decide to work for a cruise ship, a company called Steiner is located there and they provide most cruise lines with massage therapists. It's scary having to be an adult and get a real job though, I'm gonna miss my job at the cute little restaurant. It's cool to know somebody like you to help me understand British slang. If you ever have any questions about American slang I will return the favor and answer them for you. : ) Speaking of which, I am well aware of what a rubber is in America, but what is a rubber in Britain? : ) I'd hate to misunderstand what some innocent British person was saying.
Sara   Friday, June 04, 2004, 08:32 GMT
Eugenia- It's so funny that you would say that about your friend because the same thing happens to me : ) I turn pink when I'm out in the sun too long and it takes a month or so before I start to look more tan than pink. I get teased all the time : ), but it's okay.As for the thin thing, girls feel a lot of pressure to be skinny in America too, sometimes for good reason because a lot of Americans are fat. We get a lot of girls with anorexia or bulimia though because they feel like they have to look like models. I have always been a dancer so I have experienced the pressure severely. Girls swap diet secrets and pills to keep their weight down, and I stopped ballet because of it. Now I am a hip hop/funk dancer, I love it because they not only accept that I am a size 6 they don't want me any thinner. If I had my wish I'd be a 2 or a 4 though. With ballet a size 4 is pushing it for some people, It's actually very unhealthy, dance culture. Some girls just aren't built to be a size 2, I know I am not.
an antimooner   Friday, June 04, 2004, 08:39 GMT
way off topic here, folks. let's get back to language (note the forum rules).
patsd   Friday, June 04, 2004, 09:00 GMT
I say "dayta", I have always thought it sounded awkward when people say "datta" and I would say for sure dayta is more common across the country.