Native speakers, How can I get an American accent?

mjd   Sunday, February 29, 2004, 18:40 GMT
Note to all:

I frequently see the words "lose" and "loose" confused on this forum (the above post serving as a great example).

One can "lose" a game.

A screw can be "loose."

...something to watch out for there, Patrick.
Rea Christine Jose   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 00:29 GMT
I'm a filipino and wanted to have an american accent. I worked in a call center that allows us to speak to americans with different accents. It only took me 3 months to learn how to speak like an american. i guess the best way for you to learn to speak good american accent is when you've already experienced talking to them for a long time.
frin   Thursday, March 04, 2004, 18:31 GMT
I'm English, and reading the above posts about "thick" accents, reminds me why I left England. The English judge people by the way they speak. I thought that this would have changed by now, but it looks like it hasn't judging by the comments above. Many English people are far too judgemental and it makes them come across as snobbish. The American accent derives from the early immigrants, a lot of who came from the south of England (see History of English TV series). Americans are nothing but complimentary to us Brits, so I say stop bashing the Americans. Brtis are only envious anyway and most of them think they know what Americans are like because they watch AmericanTV shows.
Brendan   Friday, March 05, 2004, 00:26 GMT
Eat a McDonals Hamburger
A.S.C.M.   Friday, March 05, 2004, 02:07 GMT
Yes, frin, very true. The Americans are very complimentary to us Britons. One of my team members in History class decided to underline every one of my 'cool British spellings', as she called them.

Some Britons in the U.S. have a rather high opinion of themselves which I find quite embarrassing. Consider this dialogue I overheard...
French teacher: 'Voilà un nouveau élève qui vient d'Angleterre. Soyez gentil envers lui.'
British pupil: 'Ah, bien sûr! Nous sommes anglais; nous sommes toujours gentils!'
Arnold Schwarzenegger   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 10:48 GMT
Forget it.. You speak good English dont you? Why do you want to ruin it by learning the American way of speaking?? Build your body instead....
Simon   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 10:51 GMT
Yes, we are arrogant washed up old worlders. Care to make something of it.
oli   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 11:54 GMT
I need some help! I am from London, England, and have an audition today for an advertisement for Macy's. I need to say the following phrase: "Excuse me, could you tell me where you got that outfit?" The casting agency need the phrase said with an American accent - although they don't want an American speaker for the commercial - weird. Anyway, can anyone give me some tips on how to put on a convincing american accent?
van   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 14:37 GMT
hi my problem is that ihave been teaching english for 5years .but in viet nam its very hard to look for some books such as english languaactivities i dont have enough money to buy book on the net can you tell me some websides where ican such read books of language activities
van   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 14:59 GMT
hi my problem is that ihave been teaching english for 5years .but in viet nam its very hard to look for some books such as english languaactivities i dont have enough money to buy book on the net can you tell me some websides where ican such read books of language activities
guy   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 15:31 GMT
oli,
try to say "excute me, coojuh tell me where(the r is pronounced) you gaht thad outfit"
oli   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 15:40 GMT
guy,
Thanks for the tip. Exactly what dialect would that be?
To oli   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 18:00 GMT
Oli, if you want to say that in the north midwest accent (the one most used on TV), you'll probably want to say something like this

ihkskyooz mee, kuhd yoo tehl mee wayr yoo gaht that owtfiht?
Ginny Weasley   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 07:00 GMT
'Excute me' ???? Who says that?
Dean   Friday, March 12, 2004, 14:23 GMT
I think he means that the /Z/ sound must be pronunced very quickly so as not to be too strong