during or from

raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 00:52 GMT
Sentence - During our limited experience we find that while the contents of a constitution are important, more importantly is the spirit of the men at the top who operate it.
Q1: "During" sounds odd to me because of the word "limited". What say u?
Q2: Can I change it to "From our limited experience", anyway?
Q3: Is "more importantly" used correctly if not at all in this context?
Thanks.
Jim   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 01:51 GMT
I can't exactly fault the original on grammatical grounds but it does sound kind of strange, I'd change it to "From ..."

Because "the spirit ..." is a noun phrase "more imortantly" doesn't fit. A spirit can't be importantly. It can be important. What would be better is "more important". I think, however, that "what's more important" sounds more natural.
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 01:53 GMT
Shoot. I'm going to get hell from my students. They're lawyers by the way.
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 02:02 GMT
I thought perhaps with "while Y are important, more importantly is X" as opposed to "X is more important than Y". Hmmm...still no? Maybe yes?
mjd   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 02:20 GMT
Here is how I'd rewrite this:

Although our experience is limited, we find that while the content of a constitution is important, even more important is the spirit of those at the top who enforce it.
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 05:31 GMT
Yes. That sounds good. Much better.
mjd   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 09:31 GMT
Raisingfink,

Just out of curiosity, where are you from?
raisingfink   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 23:51 GMT
Malaysia. And you?
mjd   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 00:41 GMT
New Jersey, U.S.A.
raisingfink   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 02:19 GMT
So, mjd. What time is it there? It's 10.19 am here and I'm at work. Bored out of my brains.

Hang on..can anyone help me. I am terrible with prepositions. Can we make do without the "with" in this sentence -
"...unwilling to provide him with adequate care, food and shelter". Is this ok - "...unwilling to provide him adequate care..."??
mjd   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 06:15 GMT
Nah, I'd stick with the "with."
raisingfink   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 07:10 GMT
darn it. tq.