How to improve my English

KK   Friday, February 13, 2004, 19:31 GMT
Hi All,

I'm a Chinese living in Australia and I've been living here since I was 4. It has been 18 years now and my english is still not fluent. I wouldn't say is bad because I don't have any Chinese accent when I speak english, I've actually been told that I've got a strong Australian accent which I'm proud of.

But my grammar and vocabulary are really bad. You might have already noticed a lot of error in my grammar, so I really need your help.

How and where should I start to improve my english ? especially vocabulary.

Jim, I've read a a lot of topics that you have replied and I can tell you're perfessional in english, so I really do hope you could give me some tips to improve my english. If I sit down and watch the news on TV, I'll find alot of words I don't understand. I know to look up the dictionary for the meaning of the words, but to be honest I sometime still don't quite get the meaning and how I should use the word. Is there any ways that can help ?

Thanks alot mate
KK   Friday, February 13, 2004, 19:32 GMT
Jim is the Australian that I'm referring to
Tsama   Friday, February 13, 2004, 19:59 GMT
Hi KK,

I have the same problem like you. So, I can tell you, don't give up and read more and more. Be aware about that: If you don't make mistakes, you don't make anything. Then, take your mistakes as the opportunity to improve more and more your english.

I recommend reading those books: Who moved my cheese, Making it happen. They are very interesting and you'll find pleasure to read them.

Good luck my friend. I'm in Canada where people speak frensh.

Nice to read you again
Jarec   Friday, February 13, 2004, 20:10 GMT
This is strange, what have you been doing all that time if you're still not fluent?
KK   Saturday, February 14, 2004, 08:29 GMT
Thanks Tsama, I'll definitely give those books a try.

Jarec, I've been hanging around with Chinese friends the whole time. I think thats why I'm still not fluent.
dian   Monday, February 16, 2004, 04:53 GMT
I am also an English learner. I posted here several months ago that the best way to learn English in the English-speaking countries. And I really want to go there in order to improve my English, but it takes a lot of money, of course...:-(.

How you can't speak English fluently after living there for so many years? I think you're surrounded by people who speak English 24 ours a day, 7 days a week. I mean, you have been living there. It's very easy to find people who can speak English there, because you live in an English-speaking country.

Could you tell me why you feel that you can't speak English fluently? Thank you.
Paul   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 15:15 GMT
Hi Guy (KKK makes me nervous)
Can you give us a few usage or meaning questions and we will give you the answers that you need.
I am from Canada, from the area that doesn't speak much french.
I have Chinese friends who have the grammar down pat, but have difficulty with accent.
Your grammar is probably easier to fix than their accent.
Regards, Paul V.
Paul   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 15:17 GMT
If you want to start a new thread, please put "Question:" in the Topic line
TK   Thursday, February 19, 2004, 17:58 GMT
Hi All,
I have been living in London for 18 years, but I could not speak or write properly in English. As I have lack of language knowledge I can not be able to find a job related with my skills. I am scared to face an interview even if I know the work what I am appling for. I was not selected for couple of jobs because of my English. I have been trying to learn from various sources for many years but I could not improve it. I was told by my friends that my pronounciation was not good and difficult to understand what I am trying to say. I did not spend much time at the beginning to listen and speak with those who can only speak English or can speak fluently. I would be thankful if anyone help me to improve my english.

Kind Regards
TK
Fly   Thursday, February 19, 2004, 19:25 GMT
Hey KK, your case is really an interesting phenomenon. You don't have a chinese accent but you can't speak fluently?! Do you mean that you can't express your idea effectively or what?

Give us some examples of what you mean by "can't speak fluently". That will be helpful.

:)
Hi to all   Friday, February 20, 2004, 08:06 GMT
I think the KK speaks own language at the home and probably he stays more with his chinese people . I guess that is very natural that he can not speak fluently the english language. Also living in an english country no means that you have to speak fluently, that depends from your willingness to learn it. I do not live in any english country and I never been there but I can speak it since I was 12 years old. In other side I used to live in france for 5 years but I had a lot of difficult expresing in french language. What I want to say is that only love for a foreinge language can make you to speak it prefect.
KK   Saturday, February 21, 2004, 14:39 GMT
I think everyone got me wrong.

I can speak fluent english like native Australian even with the strong accent.

But my problem is my written grammar and use of vocabulary is really crap...
Boy   Sunday, February 22, 2004, 22:47 GMT
KK,
I guess you have a false impression about your grammar usage and vocabulary. You are almost perfect at both imho. Why not write an essay on a specific topic in order to help native speakers to identify where you are basically at weak.