Croissant

Bill   Monday, February 16, 2004, 04:16 GMT
I've heard some people say this is a silly word since it was brought into English from another language and it's pronounced totally different in that language. In English is pronounce ''kruh-sahnt'' [kr..sa:nt]. In the other language it's pronounced ''kwah-sahn'' [kwa:sa:n] with the ''t'' silent. When did this word enter into the English Language. It seems to be related to the word ''crescent'' in a lot of ways.
Eastie   Monday, February 16, 2004, 06:31 GMT
"...it was brought into English from another language..."
"In the other language it's pronounced..."

Is the Fr-nch language a language that cannot be named? Or are you boycotting all things Gallic?

According to dictionary.com, "croissant" is an Old French word describing the time during which the moon waxes. The Anglo-Normans introduced the word into the Middle English language as "cressaunt" back in 1399 to describe an ornament shaped like the waxing moon. "Cressaunt" eventually developed into "crescent".

In 1899, English speakers once again borrowed "croissant" from the French, this time without even bothering to anglicize it, to describe a crescent-shaped pastry.

I don't see what's so silly about using a foreign-derived word when the English language is full of them. We don't exactly pronounced words like "karate", "karaoke", "adobe", "tornado", "courier" or "chauffeur" the way they're pronounced in their country of origin.
to eastie   Monday, February 16, 2004, 08:39 GMT
It's bot gallic, it's gallo-roman (half galic and half roman), gallo-romans are the actuel french people
mjd   Monday, February 16, 2004, 10:06 GMT
"I've heard some people say this is a silly word since it was brought into English from another language and it's pronounced totally different in that language."

Please....do you know how many foreign-derived words we have in English? Tons.
nicolas   Monday, February 16, 2004, 10:22 GMT
What do your mean by silly word : unpolite? Stupid? etc
nicolas   Monday, February 16, 2004, 11:06 GMT
Croissant is not a silly thing because if the baker made it well, it's very good!
Adam   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 00:25 GMT
In French, most words have a silen letter as the last letter. You do not pronounce the last letter in most French world. "Croissant" is prononounced like "Kwasso" with a nasal "O" at the end. Difficult to explain. Most English-speakers prounounce it is as "Kwassont"
nicolas   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 12:56 GMT
adam,
well done. How will you pronounce "grenouille"?

In english, one of the most difficult word to pronouce for frenchies is "crips" with the S at the end
Sara   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 15:51 GMT
Really Nicolas? I don't think so.
For me the hardest one is clearly the sound ^ (like in ”cup", ”some”, ”but”, etc).
Here is a funny exercise to do for an English learner: try to pronounce
”cap, cup, cop, cap, cup, cop...”

Perso, j'ai du mal!
nicolas   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 16:01 GMT
You're right, and there is a worst one, i will ask it to a friend tonight and send it to the antimoon site.

but most of the french enconter a problem when they must use the word crisp with plural, that's what i have obseved.
Axel   Wednesday, February 18, 2004, 17:36 GMT
Crisps? Well it is not that difficult for me...