The propa way to spel

Smith   Monday, April 12, 2004, 22:33 GMT
Jim, came up with one spelling reform proposal that is really illegible. I have some objections to his first system besides the fact that it's really crazy and illegible.

Jim, If your curious as to what those objections are, have a look at this thread.

http://pub103.ezboard.com/feuropa2frm40.showMessage?topicID=37.topic

And about this example on this thread, Respelling ''scared'' as ''scered'' is a terrible idea and it's worse than the original spelling. ''scered'' looks like it should rhyme with ''beard''. I'd say leaving it as it is is better. Itch also is using ''u'' for both [u] and [^]. That's not such a good idea, using a letter for two sounds. We'd have a bunch of homographs, put-putt, could-cud, look-luck, etc. If your proposing a spelling reform then why spell two sounds the same way. Itch is respelling ''proper'' as ''propa''. I think that removing any ''r's'' from any words is a very bad idea. Most English speakers {me included} pronounce the ''r's'' at the ends of words. Itch is keeping the magic ''e'' rule. I think that in any phonemic spelling reform system, that keeping the magic ''e'' might not be such a good idea because the magic ''e'' doesn't always work. What about ''find''. Of course, you could respell it ''finde'' but if you did that then ''finder'' would be spelled the same as it is now. What about ''cinder''. You'd have ''finder'' and ''sinder''. That's not such a good idea. Of course, you could say you would take care of that by using ''y'' in those words like you showed us on your proposal. ''fynd'' and ''mynd''. But then, what about ''paint'' and ''ghost''?
Also, if you keeped the magic ''e'' then you would keep ''poke'' spelled as it is. What about ''poked''? ''poked'' is pronounced [pOukt]. So it would come out as ''poket''. Doesn't that look odd and even illegible. And also if you are keeping the magic ''e'' and it's a phonemic system then you would also have to spell ''cried'' and ''flied'' similar, ''kride'' and ''flide''. don't they look really odd? and the words, days, pies, goes, meadows, menus, and fries would have to be respelled ''daze'', ''pize'', ''goze'', ''meddoze'', ''mennuze'', and ''frize''. Don't those look really odd. I think that in a phonemic system keeping the magic ''e'' is not a very good idea. There would be many odd looking words.
Smith   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 01:13 GMT
''Also, if you keeped the magic ''e''.'' ''keeped'' should be ''kept''. Also, if you kept the magic ''e''
Jim   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 02:26 GMT
Ewba forgets Ireland.
Smith   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 01:38 GMT
Yeah, I've been wondering, If a spelling reform happens should it include respelling names. Some people say ''yes'' others say ''no''. I've been talking about that on another thread in another forum.
Smitth   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 03:52 GMT
Thank you for visiting ''Antiemoon'' or ''Anteemoon'' or what ever you call it.
paul   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 14:37 GMT
Canada uses American Pronunciation, except for a few odd words.
Include us out.
Paul   Wednesday, April 14, 2004, 14:40 GMT
Better not to mess with names. Mark them with a leading asterisk and leave them be. There are so many people spelling their names in an individualistic anomolous manner, that you would have a major uproar.

Regards, Paul V.
Smith   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 00:03 GMT
I guess I would be scared of a change that seemed really strange to me. Like if a Briton proposed that ''thought'' should be respelled as ''thort''. To me ''thort'' looks like it should be pronounced [tho:rt]. It might seem okay to a Briton but to me ''thort'' looks like a strange way to spell ''thought'', a spelling that is worse than the original.
Jim   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 02:39 GMT
I'd pronounce "thort" as I pronounce "thought", i.e. [tho:t], but that's just because of my non-rhotic accent. I don't think that a reforming spelling in such a was as to only fit one particular kind of accent is a good idea. A better respelling of this word would be "thaut".
John   Friday, April 16, 2004, 02:29 GMT
Weird ideas you guys are coming up with. ''scared'' as ''scered'' are you serious? ''thought'' as ''thort'' again are you serious? ''find'' as ''fynd'', Why change an ''i'' to a ''y''. I think ''i'' fits better than ''y''. Why respell ''more'' as ''mour''? As to rhyme with ''flour''. Why not ''mor'', you're taking off the ''e'' and that's enough. It doesn't need that ''u'' you're adding.
Joe   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 00:37 GMT
What about a tinker reform like changing a few words.

Hour-our
honor-onner
herb-erb
more-mor
before-befor
favorite-favrit
centre/center-senter
scissors-sizzers
color/colour-culler
hearth-harth
bought-bot
sought-sot