The propa way to spel

Jim   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 05:57 GMT
Here's Joe's dictionary entry for "Herr".

"Used as a courtesy title in a German-speaking area, prefixed to the surname or professional title of a man."

It's a German word using German orthography. Why use German orthography to refrom English spelling? We've got our own orthography. Using someone else's would not be to simplify the language but to make it unduly more complex.
Jim   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 08:04 GMT
Also if you've got "wae" and "wate" for "weigh" and "weight", then what becomes of "weighing" ... "waeing"? It's easy if you're using my versions: "wey", "weit" & "weying".
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 19:24 GMT
Quote-MISSING CONSONANTS

antarctica-antartica
clothes-cloes
quarter-korter

Quote-''I pronounce these words as the traditional spelling indicates. I pronounce both of the "c"s (as [k]) in "Antartica", why drop one? I pronounce the "th" in "clothes" as [TH], why omit it? I pronounce the [w] indicated by the "qu" in "quarter", "quorter" would be okay but not "korter" nor even "corter" (which would be better than "korter" for the same reson that "scool" is better than "skool"). However, "quorter" would not be necessary. After "qu", "w" and "wh" the "ar" digraph is normally pronounced as [o:(r)] so "quarter" is fine as it is.''

I'm omitted the consonants because I don't pronounce them and I don't pronounce the ''h'' in ''herb'' either.

Also, I spelled ''quart'' as ''kort'' because I would respell ''court'' as ''cort'' and spelling ''quart'' as ''cort'' would make a homograph with ''court''.

ARE YOU SHAW

sure-shur

I say [So:] not [Se:(r)]

Well, I say [Se:r]. What about ''shure'', that fits both pronunciations doesn't it.

cupboard-cubburd

I think "cubord" is better. Why use "ur" when it's not [e:(r)]? You don't need a double "b": you don't have a double "z" in wizard.

I'm not quite sure what a [kju:bo:rd] is. ''Cubberd'' would probably work better. Both ''cubberd'' and ''cubbord'' work but ''cubord'' looks like [kju:bo:rd].

again - agen

That looks like it should be pronounced [eij..n]. ''aggen'' works better.

"E"S NOT NEEDED

owe-oe
eye-ie

Both of these work fine but why not just "o" and "i"?

It looks odd to spell a ''noun'' or a ''verb'' as just one simple letter. And plus, I'd respell ''oh'' as ''o'' so spelling ''owe'' that way would make a homograph for it. ''eye'' spelled as just ''i'' would make a homograph for the pronoun ''I''.
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 19:46 GMT
Also you say why not just ''o'' and ''i'', but you don't like the idea of spelling ''you'' as ''u''. Is spelling ''owe'' and ''eye'' as ''o'' and ''i'' any different.

ma'am-mam

"Ma'am" is short for "madam". Do we want that fact lost?

Doesn't everyone know that anyway.?Who doesn't know that ''height'' is related to high because of the silly fact that ''height'' has an ''e'' and ''high'' doesn't?

Everyone knows that ''mam'' is short for ''madam''. It should be written as ''mam'' to go with ''sir''.

catch-kech

I certainly don't pronounce it [ketS].

I pronounce ''catch'' as [ketS]. That's common in many areas of the United
States.

I went to the thread where Smith was talking about Neytoe Inglish. http://b16.ezboard.com/feuropa2frm40.showMessage?topicID=37.topic
and on that thread he's comparing ''Neytoe Inglish'' to some other proposal reform that Smith showed on there. That proposal does things like spell ''court'' as ''koert''. Why not just ''kort''? And spells ''what'' as ''whut''. Why not just ''wut''?

Anyway, how does this spelling reform idea compare to that system that Smith is comparing to ''Neytoe Inglish''. Is their system better than this one. Well,here's their proposal.

bdfghjklmnprstvwyz-use unchanged.

Vowels

a-cat
ae-rain
ar-cart
au-pawn
e-met
ee-meat
er-tear
i-sit
ie-find
ir-beer
o-father
oe-boat
oi-coin
oo-moon
or-fort
ou-mount
u-bug
ue-mute
ur-burn

Consonant diagrams
ch-chin
ng-sing
sh-ship
th-then
tth-thing

This is how there system spells this sentence.

"What my father told the court he had wanted was not to be caught with a quart of water in the cot of his daughter all hidden away in the cart of his brother."

''Wutmie fothur toeld thu kort hee had wontid wuz not too bee kaut with u kwort uv wauter in thu kot uv hiz dauter aul hidun uwae in thu kart uv hiz bruthur''.

This is how that other system spells it.

''Whut mie faadhur toeld dhu koert hee had wontid wuz not too bee kaut with u kwort uv wautur in dhu kot uv hiz dautur aul hidun uwae in dhu kart uv hiz brudhur.

Which one works better and is easier to read?
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 19:58 GMT
I think that this reform's sentence that I'm talking about is easier to read than the reform's sentence that Smith was comparing to Neytoe Inglish. ''kort'' is much easier to read than ''koert''. Why put an ''e'' in the middle of the word. Also, I think ''th'' is easier to read than ''dh''. Why use ''dh''? So, I think this reform's sentence is easier to read than the other reform's sentence.
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:07 GMT
Oops I made a mistake,

''Wutmie fothur toeld thu kort hee had wontid wuz not too bee kaut with u kwort uv wauter in thu kot uv hiz dauter aul hidun uwae in thu kart uv hiz bruthur''., Should be,

''Wut mie fothur toeld thu kort hee had wontid wuz not too bee kaut with u kwort uv wautur in thu kot uv hiz dautur aul hidun uwae
in thu kart uv hiz bruthur''.

I think this spelling reform system is more legible than that other one. This one uses normal ''kort'' and normal ''th'' and theirs uses odd ''koert'' and odd ''dh''.
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:17 GMT
More words.

rigatoni-riggatonee
garage-gurrahj
new-noo
knew-new
species-speeshies
iguana-igwaana
radio-radeo
audio-audeo
phonics-fonnics
phonetic-fanetic
receipt-reseat
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:32 GMT
MAKING A MESS OF YOUR PJ's

pajamas/pyjamas-puhjahmuhs

Weren't we trying to simplify spelling?

Yeah, I think there's a mess on ''puhjahmuhs''. How about some more mess? How about these.

Nevada-Nuhvahduh
Chicago-Shuhkahgo
tomato-tuhmahtuh
potata-puhtahtuh
Colorado-Koluhrahduh
pecan-puhkahn

This is just a joke.

Now here's how I'd really respell them.

Nevada-Nevaada
Chicago-Shicaago
Tomato-tomayto
potato-potayto
Colorado-Coloraado
pecan-pecaan
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:34 GMT
route-rout
twenty-twunty
sign-sine
drawer-dror
encore-oncor
ignore-ignor
whore-hor
fight-fite
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:40 GMT
I forgot ''zh''. That was on their list of consonant digrams.
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 20:48 GMT
Well, anyway which one of these two systems is better and why? Is one better because it's easier to read or something else?
John   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 21:37 GMT
Quote-Just look at these suggestions. They're all over the place: two very different digraphs and a magic "e". Besides in the word "sundae" I can't think of any instance where "ae" is pronounced as [ei]:'' What about ''Gaelic'' and ''Gael''. I used ''e'' after ''a'' for the magic ''e'' in ''wae'' for ''weigh''.
Joe   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 22:14 GMT
John, what are you talking about. Have you come up with a proposal of your own. Well anyway yes ''Gaelic'' and ''Gael'' have ''ae'' pronounced as [ei]. And, yes, like John says I was thinking about the magic ''e''.
Jim   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 23:43 GMT
I say "Antarctica" you say "Antartica".
I say "clothes" you say "cloes".
I say "quarter" you say "korter".
I say "shor" you say "shur".
I say "woz" you say "wuz".
I say "cach" you say "kech".

"That proposal does things like spell 'court' as 'koert'. Why not just ''kort''? And spells 'what' as 'whut'. Why not just 'wut'?" Why not? For the benifit of those who make the distinctions between [o:r] & [Our] and between "w" & "wh": that's why not.

''Gaelic'' and ''Gael''; those are good. Yes, there are more than one instance of "ae" pronounced as [ei]; great. However, I believe you'll still find that "ei" and "ey" are both much much more common. What's wrong with my suggestion?

eight ==>> eit
weight ==>> weit
weigh ==>> wey
weighing ==>> weying

Do you think your suggestion is better? Do you think mine makes less sense or is further from traditional orthography? Do you think "waeing" is worth considering?
Jim   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 23:45 GMT
You say one thing I say the other ... let's call the whole reform off.