" ain't" examples

General Ricardo   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 17:19 GMT
Coul you guys give me examples for " ain't"? I need exapmles with verbs in all tenses.
John   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 17:28 GMT
You should try to avoid using ''ain't''.
shutout   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 21:41 GMT
"I ain't going to reply to that"
and sometimes you even hear things like " I ain't did nothing"
Yes, it is stupid and hard to understand.
John   Sunday, April 18, 2004, 22:07 GMT
I ain't going to give you any examples because I hate the word ''ain't''.
General Ricardo   Monday, April 19, 2004, 04:05 GMT
Well John, you ain't have to like ain't to give examples. You could just give me some aint examples because people use it a lot here.
John   Monday, April 19, 2004, 19:37 GMT
I guess you must live in the ghetto then.
Konrad Valentin   Monday, April 19, 2004, 21:14 GMT
Whether you like it or not, brothers and sisters, the truth is that the vast majority of English speakers right across the globe regularly use ain't. This is a site for helping people with their English, and if you're not prepared to answer this question on the grounds that it promotes a form of English which you rather snobbishly disagree with, then you are doing General Ricardo a grave disservice. Time to get with the programme and try a modern descriptive approach to the English language rather than a prehistoric prescriptive approach, methinks!

Ricardo,

Ain't is often used in place of the negated form of the auxiliary verb 'have' in the present perfect tense, e.g. I ain't got any (I haven't got any), I ain't seen him (I haven't seen him), etc.

Anyone care to help Ricardo out with further suggestions instead of moaning like a bunch of old ladies about how the English language is being ruined by common folk?
Boy   Monday, April 19, 2004, 21:52 GMT
The usage of "aint" is so simple. Just replace isnt, arent, hasnt, am not, and havent with it. For more examples, just type "aint" on any net search engines. You'll come across with many example sentences in which it is used. Here are some:

1) Ain't it cool news
2) It ain't over!
3) This ain't my home.
4) It ain't much money.
5) It ain't that bad.
6) You ain't right!
7) you ain't my baby
8) It ain't as easy as it Looks.
9) Aint it fun!
10)Aint no stoppin' us now
11) People aint heard nothin' yet.
12) This ain't a love song lyrics.
13) Aint it awful!
14) This aint such a bad idea.
15) This aint funny.
16) She aint kiddin!
17) Ain't that good news.
18) I'll never forget this "aint" question. :-)
John   Monday, April 19, 2004, 22:11 GMT
Anyone that uses ain't is too lazy to say the two syllable word ''isn't'' so they have to replace it with a one syllable word ''ain't''. Lazy ain't sayers.
Ain't   Monday, April 19, 2004, 22:13 GMT
Quitting using me in your sentences. Say words like ''am not'', ''aren't'', ''isn't'', ''haven't'' and ''hasn't'' instead.
John   Monday, April 19, 2004, 22:26 GMT
People that use ain't come straight from the ghetto.
Olde Englisc Speaker   Monday, April 19, 2004, 22:29 GMT
''Time to get with the programme and try a modern descriptive approach to the English language rather than a prehistoric prescriptive approach''.

Thou shalt not tell me to do that. ''Ain't'' is not correct grammar. Thou shalt not say that 'tis okay.
Olde Englisc Speaker   Monday, April 19, 2004, 22:31 GMT
Thou shalt not say that 'tis okay to use ''ain't''. Art thou going to continue to say that 'tis okay or art thou going to correct say that 'tis not okay to use ''ain't''.
Jim   Monday, April 19, 2004, 23:57 GMT
"You ain't seen nothing yet."

John,

"Ain't" ain't no word. 'Tis a contraction. Same for "isn't". But if we ain't going to use "ain't", what else have we got?

"is not" ==>> "isn't"
"are not" ==>> "aren't"
"am not" ==>> ...

Some speakers use "amn't" but for others this evolved into "ain't". Those who use "ain't" ain't all from the ghetto. Until the prescriptivists of a couple of centuries ago took hold, "ain't" was common and well respected. Then it became frowned upon along with multiple negation and split infinitives. Modern grammarians see past this prescriptivist nonsense and acknowledge "ain't" for what it is and don't go calling it things that it ain't.

To All,

"Ain't" ain't so bad but the thing to remember, however, about "ain't" is that there still exists this stigma, exemplified in the writings of John, about it. It ain't bad grammar per se but it ain't gonna help you get a job if you use it in an interview and it ain't gonna help you get top marks in an essay (but, of course, that also all depends on the job/essay).
Olde Englisc Speaker   Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 00:00 GMT
'Tis no such word as ''ain't''. Thou shalt not use it. Thou shalt speake proper Englisc.