MacMillan Dictionary

Achab   Wednesday, May 12, 2004, 23:09 GMT
Hello.

Are you familiar with the "MacMillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners"? There is also an edition for American English learners titled "MacMillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners of American"? Is it examples-rich? Is it better or worse than the Longman Advanced American Dictionary?

Best,
Achab
Steone   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 12:21 GMT
Hi Achab,

I'm using "MacMillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners" and I find it useful for me. There are many examples.

Regards.
Boy   Thursday, May 13, 2004, 15:05 GMT
Steone,

I guess you can use the dictionary one-line if you have already bought one.
http://www.macmillandictionary.com - trust me you can become a great help for English learners who want to use the dictionary online for free :-)

They'll ask you three or four questions about that edition of dic you have recently bought and once you give the answer of all questions correctly after looking the answers in the dic you can easily access to it.

I was trying to give the answer of the questions but I couldn't cause I had not bought the dic as it was not available in my country. Mostly questions were related to the dictionary.

It is easy for someone to give all answers correctly who has recently bought the dic. You can provide questions and their answers over here and we can use them for accessing to it online.

It is upto to you to decide. On a personal note, the dic looks better as it provides you phonetic transcriptions and sound recordings and adequate example sentences.
Steone   Friday, May 14, 2004, 04:51 GMT
Hi Boy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have now registered with MEDO (MacMillan English Dictionary Online).

First, I've to fill in my personal particulars. Then the password was email to me.

After logging in again, I have to provide the ISBN numbers which is at the back cover in order to proceed further.

After that I have to answer 3 questions which I have only 3 chances to answer it correctly. These 3 questions, I think might be different with every registering. The questions for me are,

1. The last word of the 1st definition of "distort" which the answer is "accurate".

2. The 6th word of the 2nd definition of "roofing" which the answer is "repairing".

3. The 7th word of the 2nd definition of "iced" which the answer is "covered".

Hope these tips are useful for you.

Regards.
Boy   Friday, May 14, 2004, 10:16 GMT
Hi Steone,

<< I think might be different with every registering. The questions for me are >>

I don't think so. They might be different for each different edition. Let me give it a go. Please write ISBN number of your Dictionary then let's see they will ask me different questions or not.

Look, if your case is still true. I'd say you to hand out at this forum when I'm giving the answer of the questions. I'll give you the question then you write its answer here. When I put in it there, I'll proceed further for next questions. Man, it is possible for me to access it online, all I need to do is to have HELP and TIME.

or please write at me at english_busted@yahoo.com - I'll write you the question in email then you write me back its answer. So on for next 2 questions. It is easy. Just write your ISBN number. See ya.
Boy   Friday, May 14, 2004, 10:22 GMT
Mistakes: hang out,
Have YOUR help and time.
Steone   Friday, May 14, 2004, 12:32 GMT
Hi Boy,

Are you around now. My local time now is 8:30PM
Boy   Friday, May 14, 2004, 16:09 GMT
Steone,

I'm not around here. My local time is 9.07 PM right now. Steone, I have to need your ISBN number. If I put in ISBN numbers of other editions, you may not help me out. Questions will be different and answers will not be given in your dictionary.
Boy   Friday, May 14, 2004, 16:12 GMT
Steone,
I'm 5 hours ahead from GMT time.
Boy   Friday, May 14, 2004, 17:31 GMT
Hi Steone,

Firstly, I have to tell you that I don't have a dictionary in my hands. Secondly, you can still access to MEDO if you are free registered with one of free E-mail services. There are two ways to register on line
1) If you bought the dictionary or
2) If you registered with one of free Email services.

Look at http://www.macmillandictionary.com/email.htm

After that, they will send you a 'password' to your email address and then you'll login again and fill in a form and then put the ISBN number and give the answer of the questions. As you said above, questions will be different with a new user registeration. Why not for me create a new email account and register with one of free Email services and give the answer of the questions. Copy questions and their answers on your computer. Then email them to my email address along with "password sent by Macmillan", "email address created by you", "ISBN put in by you". I'll login in from my PC with all this info.
Steone   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 03:54 GMT
Hi Boy,

The ISBN no. is 0-333-96675-9.

Hope you could register without much trouble. Let me know what time you'll be online if you need my help again. Best time is 2PM my local time.

Regards.
Boy   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 12:17 GMT
Hi Steone,
Thanks for providing me the ISBN no. But I want to know that why don't you create a new email account either at yahoo or hotmail for me. Then register with one of free email services provided by Macmillan. They'll send you a password and then login in MEDO with it, put the ISBN there and answer the questions but not give the answer of last question otherwise you'll be registered but note down the question and its answer.

send me all these info like (email address, password sent by macmillan, questions and their answers). I'll logn in from my PC and will be regsitered easily rather than wait for you at this forum. It'll be difficult for me to catch you right here as we live in different time regions. What do you think about this easy and simple idea?

Anyhow, I registered with my email address and password provided by macmillan. My first question was:

Q1: What is the 4th word of the 1st definition of "backing"?

write the answer of the question here. Then i'll be proceeded for next remaining questions. I appreciate your time and help.
Steone   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 13:20 GMT
Hi Boy,

"active"
Boy   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 13:51 GMT
Hi Steone,
my first question was correct. Here is the next question: Solve it carefully.

Q2: What is the 9th word of the 2nd definition of "heady"?
Steone   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 13:54 GMT
Pls wait...