Accent stereotypes?

patsd   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 08:52 GMT
I was wondering, what are some of the British accents used in the media to depict sterotypical characters? In the U.S., for example, east coast accents, usually NYC, are used on TV or Movies for cold-hearted, ruthless businessmen, prostitues, rude drivers, or general street criminals. In the same manner also, southern accents are used for old-fahsioned, unpolished racists, naive friendly religious people, government-fearing inbreds , or corrupt law enforment officals. For that matter, black people in America are often depicted on TV as being intimidating, easily irritated, and comicaly uneducated/unsuccessful. Today, the ladder is being done by themsleves.
Konrad Valentin   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 18:56 GMT
In Britain, people with an RP (Received Pronunciation) accent are usually evil through and through, Cockneys (from London) are wide-boys, Scousers (from Liverpool) are thieves, Brummies (from Birmingham) are unintelligent and anyone with a rural accent is an inbreed.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 23:45 GMT
wide-boys?
What do you mean?   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 05:15 GMT
Today, the ladder is being done by themsleves
Someone   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 05:44 GMT
He meant "latter."
patsd   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 07:24 GMT
<<He meant "latter." >>

Sorry, yes that was the wrong spelling. I guess that is a good example of the problem with pronouncing latter and ladder exactly the same, as I do.
patsd   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 07:26 GMT
<<<In Britain, people with an RP (Received Pronunciation) accent are usually evil through and through, Cockneys (from London) are wide-boys, Scousers (from Liverpool) are thieves, Brummies (from Birmingham) are unintelligent and anyone with a rural accent is an inbreed.>>>

Thanks for the input.
What is a wide-boy? And what is the basis for that preception about people from Birmingham?
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 08:00 GMT
Wide boy - even though I'm British I had to look this one up...it is British slang and it means an unscrupulous and astute trickster, a fraudster, a con man. Personally, I have never heard anyone use it though.
James   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 16:06 GMT
Hey Patsd,
now i see why you have submitted so many
nonsenses thru all this forum,
it must be because you're not a native,
at least you're not american.

Americans don't pronounce Ladder and Latter the
same, it's a different sound,
and if you're from US sure you have to
know that,
That's an old topic,
www.antimoon.com/forum/posts/4697.htm
Ben   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 16:25 GMT
They don't pronounce them EXACTLY the same, but they're very close (it's the difference between a "d" sound and a tapped "r" in Spanish). I'm an American and I thought that I pronounced them both the same way until somebody pointed out the difference out to me.

Jeez, lighten up, James.
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 16:29 GMT
When I have time I want to explore all the sites on the web about differences between British and American English. I have just bought a great book called The Cambridge Encycopaedia of the English Language which includes sections on American English so I want to compare that with the net sites. Not just American but every other variation of the Language too
Konrad Valentin   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 18:21 GMT
patsd,

And what is the basis for that preception about people from Birmingham?

There is no basis. Like all stereotypes, the Brummie stereotype bears no relation to the reality whatsoever. In fact, Brummies were the ones who kick-started the Industrial Revolution, so they could hardly be called stupid, and nobody in their right mind would call Shakespeare (who was born not far from Birmingham and spoke a Midlands dialect similar in many respects to the dialect spoken by Brummies today) unintelligent.
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 21:21 GMT
And it is a complete myth that Scots are mean and stingy!!!! We are just............well,......shrewd. Or should that be rude? I know it's a word that rhymes...
patsd   Friday, June 11, 2004, 05:27 GMT
<<<Hey Patsd,
now i see why you have submitted so many
nonsenses thru all this forum,>>

What are you talking about?

<<<Americans don't pronounce Ladder and Latter the
same, it's a different sound,
and if you're from US sure you have to
know that,
That's an old topic,>>

I was talking about the fact that I mispelled the word and mixed up TT and DD. It was just poking fun at my own way of speaking. They aren't pronounced very differently in the middle of a word in the US by most people. I have said both words several times and the difference between them, apart from the first letter of course, is barely noticeable. (if there is a difference)

<<<it must be because you're not a native,
at least you're not american.>>

Yes, I'm a fraud. Nice logic.
patsd   Friday, June 11, 2004, 05:28 GMT

<<now i see why you have submitted so many
nonsenses thru all this forum,>>

By the way, I hope you don't claim to be a native English speaker.