GMT

General_Ricardo   Monday, June 14, 2004, 07:32 GMT
Do you guys know what GMT stands for by chance?
thnx in advance
mjd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 07:34 GMT
Greenwich Mean Time. Here is Dictionary.com's definition:

universal time
n. Abbr. UT
The mean solar time for the meridian at Greenwich, England, used as a basis for calculating time throughout most of the world. Also called Greenwich time, Greenwich Mean Time, Zulu time.
CG   Monday, June 14, 2004, 09:53 GMT
Can I just say that this forum's time is not right, if it is meant to be GMT. It's 10:53 right now.
Damian   Monday, June 14, 2004, 10:02 GMT
The Greenwich Observaory in south east London is a fascinating place....so much to see. It's all about Time. Greenwich is where Time begins, literally. You can stand astride this line with one foot in the western hemisphere and the other in the eastern. The Meridian line. Of course, you can do the same with the equator. Here in the northern hemisphere the days are at their longest..it's lovely. In the north of Scotland it doesn't get truly dark at night.

As mjd says, Greenwich Mean Time is now Universal Time.

Talking of Zulu...I try to use the official system the emergency services (Police etc) use for the letters of the alphabet for spelling out words .I can't remember what the official term is for it. A=Alpha B=Bravo C=Charlie D=Delta etc Ends with Z=Zulu.

I am really Delta Alpha Mike India Alpha November!

Charlie Hotel Echo Echo Romeo Sierra! Sierra Echo Echo Lima Alpha Tango Echo Romeo!