Le, el, ella

Xatufan   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 02:24 GMT
If Jason's reading the book NOW he can say "Estoy leyendo...". If he read it on the past he can say "leí" if he says exactly when: "Leí el libro ayer."
If he doesn't say the time, he should use "He leído", exactly like in English. However, if he use "ya", e.g. saying his mum he's already finished his homework, he should use the past: "Mami querida, ¿me dejas usar el Internet para ver qué hay de nuevo en Antimoon? Sí, YA LEÍ el libro que me enviaron. ¿Sí? Gracias."

Too much of grammar...

Eugenia: I sang your beautiful song at school. Déjame decirte que casi me apedrean.
Thank you so much. In the telephone directory I found the surnames Chóez, Toala, Piguave, Quishpi, etc. Beautiful.

"Por estos lares". "Lar" is a Roman spirit that helps at home (at least, that's what I've learnt in my Social Studies class.) In this case, it refers to a place rather than a spirit.
Eugenia   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 02:49 GMT
Xatufan: You sang that song? Why?!!
F*** Mexico :S No tuvimos suerte. Más de 5 Argentinos en ataque, nos quedabamos sin nada en la defensa...Mal Bielsa, Mal...
¿Porqué te interesan esos apellidos?

''If Jason's reading the book NOW he can say "Estoy leyendo...". If he read it on the past he can say "leí" if he says exactly when: "Leí el libro ayer." -> No, not always, you can perfectly say ''Leí el libro'' without specifying the time: ¿Qué hiciste? Leí el libro que nos dió la profesora. In Argentina people wouldn't say ''He leido'', it sounds quite odd. May be you are more used to it.
Juan   Monday, July 12, 2004, 10:34 GMT
'He leido'' sounds fine too me.
Vic2   Monday, July 12, 2004, 13:12 GMT
Does "el" come from arabic?
jordi   Monday, July 12, 2004, 13:54 GMT
Nope. "El" comes from Latin "ille" and "la" comes from Latin "illa". Same as French "le" and "la".
vic2   Monday, July 12, 2004, 14:29 GMT
Does it mean arabic has been influenced by latin?
Miguel   Monday, July 12, 2004, 18:06 GMT
Vivo en Madrid y preguntando a amigos y conocidos referente a que si "la dije" era correcto ó no (en vez de "le dije") deciros que muchos de ellos estan convencidos de que esta bien dicho.
Gramaticalmente no es correcto, pero como os decía este error es bastante comun en Madrid. Saludos.
Eugenia   Monday, July 12, 2004, 18:33 GMT
I didn't say that ''He leido'' was wrong, what I wanted to point out was that in Argentina it sounds odd if you say ''he leido'' in an informal situation.
Juan   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 11:13 GMT
Eugenia,

<<I didn't say that ''He leido'' was wrong, what I wanted to point out was that in Argentina it sounds odd if you say ''he leido'' in an informal situation.>>

You got me all wrong again Eugenia. I wasn't attacking you.

So, you mean to tell "He leido" is to formal for you. I used that form all the time with people that I am close to and I don't certainly feel is too formal. I guess in my variety of Spanish we tend to be more formal when we speak even with people that we are close too.
Bradaman   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 17:07 GMT
Eugenia,
"Ella gusta de los helados" is perfectly correct, check the Real Academia de la lengua dictionary and you'll find this meaning. althought it isn't very used in Spain (it sounds a little old-fashioned) is quite usual in South America.
By the way, "los helados" is NOT the subject of the sentence, but "Ella" so the agreement between the verb and the subject is correct.
Xatufan   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 00:08 GMT
Bramadan:

1) Llegaste tarde. Eugenia succumbed to our opinions weeks ago, and she accepted that "ella gusta de..." was correct.

2) I live in South America, Eugenia do to, and we both (and every Spanish-speaking person) know that "ella gusta de..." is a weird sentence. You may live in a zone where this use is common. Spanish is a language that differs from one region to another. However, "ella gusta de..." is perfectly comprensible.

3) Yeah, the subject in "Ella gusta de los helados" is ella. The preposition "de" gives that change of subject

Hey, "Ella gusta de los helados" is not the same as "A los helados les gusta ella".

Eugenia: Si hablas de mí, quiero saber sobre los apellidos porque conozco unos argentinos que los tienen.
Eugenia   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 01:40 GMT
Eugenia,
"Ella gusta de los helados" is perfectly correct, check the Real Academia de la lengua dictionary and you'll find this meaning. althought it isn't very used in Spain (it sounds a little old-fashioned) is quite usual in South America.
By the way, "los helados" is NOT the subject of the sentence, but "Ella" so the agreement between the verb and the subject is correct.

<<HONEY, READ ALL THE MESSAGES FIRST, I HAD ALREADY SAID THAT ...By the way, I said that ''Los Helados was'' the subject of: A ella le gustan los helados''
That topic has already been discussed...>>

Is the word ''Posts'' correct?

Xatufan:
Eugenia: Si hablas de mí, quiero saber sobre los apellidos porque conozco unos argentinos que los tienen.
<<aaaah, ok :)>>
Eugenia   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 01:43 GMT
Juan <<You got me all wrong again Eugenia. I wasn't attacking you.>> I'm sorry, this time I wasn't trying to sound agressive!!
Natufan   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 16:48 GMT
Hi o I say hola I think that if this forum is free xatufan willbe more stupid so le is not so used but el is use for male things and ella is used for female

Sincerely

Damian
Eugenia   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 23:39 GMT
<<Hi o I say hola I think that if this forum is free xatufan willbe more stupid so le is not so used but el is use for male things and ella is used for female>>

What have you tried to say?