Origin of silent K in kn words

Nurp   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:02 GMT
Jim, It was a typo. I meant a ''quart of water''. I don't know how you can have a ''court of water''.

Anyway, Isn't your system trying to include the distinctions made in all dialects? If so than it should include all of the distinctions that are included in my spelling reform proposal on this thread http://p081.ezboard.com/feuropa2frm40.showMessage?topicID=45.topic

Oh, and how does your system respell this corrected sentence?

''What my father told the court he had wanted was not to be caught with a quart of water in the cot of his daughter all hidden away in the cart of his brother and he knows what he has written on the gnome.''
Jim   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:08 GMT
Nurp, you're such an asshole. Nurp, My system is not trying to include all dialects. I am not going to add the distinctions that are included in your proposal the my proposal doesn't have. I say that the diagraphs ''wr'', ''kn'', ''gn'' and ''wh'' are totally redundant and do not need to be kept to favor a few Scots that have two dental nasals, a rolled ''r'' and a voiceless ''w'' as phonemes distinct from [n], [r] and [w].
Nurp   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:11 GMT
Jim, Why are you calling me an asshole?
The Real Jim   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:31 GMT
I'm not calling you an asshole. The fake me is.
Nurp   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:34 GMT
I thought that was a faker. by the way, Aren't you Australian. Australians don't say ''asshole'' but ''arsehole'', so that shows that that guy going by the name of Jim was a faker.
Jim   Monday, July 12, 2004, 00:41 GMT
That's true. An Aussie might call this fake an "arsehole" but not an "asshole". What's an asshole: a hole to put your donkey in? My fakers have to try a bit harder in the future if they want to be convincing.
Robot   Monday, July 12, 2004, 01:09 GMT
''That's true. An Aussie might call this fake an "arsehole" but not an "asshole". What's an asshole: a hole to put your donkey in? My fakers have to try a bit harder in the future if they want to be convincing.''

That does sound like a faker that used ''asshole'' and ''favor''.

Jim, I was just wondering though, Is anything that that faker's saying about you true from what he wrote?

''Nurp, you're such an asshole. Nurp, My system is not trying to include all dialects. I am not going to add the distinctions that are included in your proposal the my proposal doesn't have. I say that the diagraphs ''wr'', ''kn'', ''gn'' and ''wh'' are totally redundant and do not need to be kept to favor a few Scots that have two dental nasals, a rolled ''r'' and a voiceless ''w'' as phonemes distinct from [n], [r] and [w].''
Jim   Monday, July 12, 2004, 03:04 GMT
The system I'd been working one was an attempt to include all dialects but it's an enormous task because of the huge variety of phonemic distinctions that are made. The system is now only half finished. The more you look at these distinctions the more sense the idea of keeping traditional orthography makes. Anyway, this thread wasn't intended to be about spelling reform so why don't we stick to the topic?
Robot   Monday, July 12, 2004, 05:34 GMT
''Anyway, this thread wasn't intended to be about spelling reform so why don't we stick to the topic?''

Jim, where can we move the spelling reform discussion to? I have some suggestions and ideas on how you could add the distinctions included in Nurp's proposal and complete your system but I can't post them here. Where can I post them?
Jim   Monday, July 12, 2004, 05:42 GMT
Robot   Monday, July 12, 2004, 06:31 GMT
Okay, Jim, I've moved the discussion to that thread. Now, this thread can continue talking about it's original purpose.

See my suggestions on how you can add the distinctions included in Nurp's system to your system on this thread http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5162.htm .
Damian   Monday, July 12, 2004, 06:32 GMT
I am knot awake properly yet as I knever really get started until I have a knice cup of coffee and it's knearly time for breakfast know. Knobody talks to me until I have watched the knews on TV and I see what's going on in this knaughty world. Have a knice day everyone.
mjd   Monday, July 12, 2004, 07:05 GMT
I hope you're enjoying your knice cup o' joe...oh wait, this message should be in the "what is o' supposed to mean" thread.
Ailian   Monday, July 12, 2004, 19:31 GMT
Dear Mr Damian,

You do realize that, given accepted spelling, your post made no sense? ;)

Much love,
Ailian
Damian   Monday, July 12, 2004, 19:55 GMT
Dear Ailian,

I no my post made know sense....that was the hole point! I knever do make sense...that's my problem. It must the topic of this thread that's affecting what passes for my brain. I can knever get to grips with it. I love playing around with words...they fascinate me. I hope this post also makes know sense!

Much love reciprocated,

Damian