help with the poem "tree"

bubu   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 18:42 GMT
hello,

Here are the 4 stanzas of a simple poem “tree”

1] “It takes much time to kill a tree
Not a simple job of knife will do it
It has grown slowly, consuming the earth.”

What does the phrase “consuming the earth” mean? Does it mean depending on the earth? Living on it? Feed on it?
In what other ways can we express the second line “not a…..do it” and what does “a simple job of knife” refer to”?

2] “Rising out of it,
Feeding upon its crust,
Absorbing years of sunlight, air, water,
And out of its leprous hide sprouting leaves”

What does the “its” refer to in the 4th line? The earth’s? Or the bark of the tree?

3] Out of the anchoring earth
It is to be roped…..and pulled out

What does “anchoring earth” mean?

4] And the strength of the tree exposed
The source, white and wet
The most sensitive, hidden from years
Inside the earth

What does it mean to say that the strength of the tree is exposed?
What does “hidden from years” mean? Does it mean the same as hidden for years?

Thanks
bubu
Julian   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 01:53 GMT
>What does the phrase "consuming the earth" mean? Does it mean depending on the earth? Living on it? Feed on it?

I take this to mean that as the tree grows, it's roots dig deep down and it's trunk spreads wider; eating away and overtaking the earth beneath it.

>In what other ways can we express the second line "not a…..do it" and what does "a simple job of knife" refer to”?

1. Simply using a knife won't do the trick (that is, kill the tree); 2. stabbing, carving, or cutting the tree.

>What does the "its" refer to in the 4th line? The earth’s? Or the bark of the tree?"

"its" refers to the tree.

>What does "anchoring earth" mean?

The earth holds the tree in place.

>What does it mean to say that the strength of the tree is exposed?
What does "hidden from years" mean? Does it mean the same as hidden for years?

I don't know. What did the stanza preceding it say? Was the tree cut, exposing its roots? If so, then this line is saying that the strength of the tree was in its root system, which makes sense since the lifeblood of a tree is in its roots. The lines "The source, white and wet/The most sensitive, hidden from years/Inside the earth" leads me to believe that the tree was indeed cut; exposing its roots, which had been hidden from view all these years inside the earth.
bubu   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 10:17 GMT
Thanks Julian,

>What does the "its" refer to in the 4th line? The earth’s? Or the bark of the tree?"

"its" refers to the tree.

can you plz check your answer again anf tell that youare sure that "it's" refer to the tree. I have a feeling that "it's' refers to the hide of the earth, the crust.

Thanks again
Julian   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 01:37 GMT
Let's take another look at that line:

"And out of its leprous hide sprouting leaves”

Now let's take a look at one of the definitions of "leprous"

"leprous - (Biology) Having or consisting of loose, scurfy scales."

And now,
"scurfy - A loose scaly crust coating a surface, especially of a plant."

Based on those definitions, I gather that the "its" in the line in question is referring to the tree.
Julian   Thursday, July 15, 2004, 01:39 GMT
Oh, you're welcome, btw (where are my manners?)
bubu   Friday, July 16, 2004, 00:58 GMT
Julian thanks again,

I have posted this quesion to several forums and most of the answers match with yours. They also bear the same arguments.

By the way I could not understand what BTW was, and the thing about manners. Could you plz explain to me?

Thanx
Julian   Friday, July 16, 2004, 01:15 GMT
BTW = by the way.

I asked (to know one in particular), "Where are my manners?" because I forgot them when I neglected to respond to your thanks.
bubu   Friday, July 16, 2004, 18:28 GMT
Julian,
You're not only kind but awfully decent

Thank you for being the person you are
Winona   Friday, July 16, 2004, 21:08 GMT
"I asked (to know one in particular)..."

You mean, "no one". :-)