An SMS/ A SMS

Juan   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 02:21 GMT
What would native speakers say:

1. An SMS ( I would)
2. A SMS ( I wouldn't)

I think I've seen, I can't recollect exactly where, "a SMS" written in a document and it didn't feel right to me. I know that words that begin with an "S" (i.e. "a sport") don't have a vowel before them but the letter "S" by itself does!
mjd   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 03:17 GMT
I and all other native speakers would opt for number 1.
Juan   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 03:23 GMT
Really?! I swear I saw option number 2 in a contract. I was startled to say the least. Thanks your response mjd. I always appreciate it.
mjd   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 04:38 GMT
Perhaps they were basing it on the word "contract"...this would be odd, but who knows what they were doing? Howevever, if I were just given the initials "SMS," it would sound weird to say "a SMS" given the pronunciation of "s."
Adam   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 11:06 GMT
It is "an SMS". Remember, "an" goes before vowel sounds or H-mute.
Juan   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 11:22 GMT
I meant as in a biding written legal contract or what is it the manual? But thanks for your help, anyways. You cleared up for me. I'm glad that what I believe, was right this time.
Vroobelek   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 11:52 GMT
Google says:

"an SMS" 286000 results
"a SMS" 114000 results

(only English websites)
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 14:06 GMT
Both are used in written English but usually: "an SMS" when spoken.
Ed   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 15:17 GMT
In the US we say text message for some reason, and not SMS. Same goes for cell phone instead of GSM.
Laura   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 18:23 GMT
let have a start a list with the most stupid SMS. Give me an example.
Mxsmanic   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 19:12 GMT
You can say an SMS if you are thinking of the acronym, or a SMS if you are thinking of what it stands for (Short Message Service). So either is actually correct, and the latter is probably more correct in formal writing, since it is the concept being addressed, not the abbreviation.

SMS is not widely used in the U.S. because it is a feature of GSM cellular systems, and GSM is not widely used in the U.S. (although it is used in almost every other country in the world).
Ed   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 22:54 GMT
Mxsmanic,

so you're saying that cell phones in the US and GSM anywhere else are different from a technical standpoint?
Mxsmanic   Wednesday, August 18, 2004, 23:20 GMT
Yes. The U.S. uses different cellphone standards that predate GSM for the most part; these standards are completely incompatible with GSM. The U.S. had implemented these standards before GSM came along, and even though GSM is a technically superior system, the U.S. has been very reluctant to change (a case of the Not Invented Here syndrome, perhaps). So, although more than a hundred different countries are GSM today, the United States has only a few scattered GSM operators throughout the country; most operators are still using the older standards specific to the U.S.

Since these older standards didn't provide digital data transmission or short text messages, the term SMS doesn't apply to them. The U.S. has developed newer, digital standards with a similar text capability, but they are still different from and incompatible with GSM, and so the term SMS still isn't meaningful to most Americans.
Ed   Thursday, August 19, 2004, 16:03 GMT
wow, I had no idea. But I think now AT&T is introducing GSM in the US more widely because their new plan is called GSM America.
Peter   Thursday, August 19, 2004, 20:19 GMT
"Since these older standards didn't provide digital data transmission or short text messages, the term SMS doesn't apply to them. The U.S. has developed newer, digital standards with a similar text capability, but they are still different from and incompatible with GSM, and so the term SMS still isn't meaningful to most Americans."

So, in the U.S. it's hard to send a SMS?? Can it be??!! Is the newer, digital standard in use? And do you send "short message" by mobiles? Or you only talk?