What is the coolest word?

svalovec   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 01:52 GMT
cor blimey,

still uttered here and there...
Damian   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 08:21 GMT
Lascivious
Joanne   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 20:50 GMT
Coolest word: Eosinophils

I don't have a least favorite word, but I have a least favorite phrase. I don't remember exactly where I read this. It is so irritating that I remember it word for word, no matter how much I want to forget it:

"Destablization of established constructs of authorship afforded by the disruptive intrusion into the epistemological field of previously marginalized authorial modes and venues."

Even the THOUGHT of opening a dictionary to translate some of these words sets my teeth on edge! :-| Blech.
Damian   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 22:48 GMT
<<"Destablization of established constructs of authorship afforded by the disruptive intrusion into the epistemological field of previously marginalized authorial modes and venues." >>

Correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean plagiarism?
Q0CUMBER   Saturday, October 30, 2004, 23:05 GMT
I hate the word "too", instead I use "aswell" and "also".
svalovec   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 08:12 GMT
Too right it does, you didn't attribute the sentence to anybody. =)

It wouldn't have been translated from french would it?
svalovec   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 08:14 GMT
French
Easterner   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 08:36 GMT
I find some words beginning with "ob-" very comical: obfuscate, oblate, oblique, oblong, obnoxious, obsolete, obstacle, obstinate, obtuse. Whenever I hear them, I visualise a fellow with a funny round face trying to utter those words, but failing to do so. Do you think anything is wrong with me? :-)
Easterner   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 08:42 GMT
>>"Destablization of established constructs of authorship afforded by the disruptive intrusion into the epistemological field of previously marginalized authorial modes and venues." <<

Joanne,

Is there such a thing as a George Orwell Prize for "the best newspeak sentence ever"? You could nominate this one as a likely winner. :-)
Easterner   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 09:03 GMT
Damian said: >>Correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean plagiarism? <<

Something like that, but my guess is copyright violation. "Previously marginalised authorial modes and venues" could mean anything from pirate copies to unauthorised downloads.
Paulski   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 11:43 GMT
'Equipaje'
- spanish for luggage. Ok, not 'cool' but it always made me laugh when I heard it in class....
Joanne   Tuesday, November 02, 2004, 15:53 GMT
<<Correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean plagiarism?>>

After reading your other messages in other threads that you posted at around the same time you posted this...you figured that out straight after you staggered home from a night of drinking??? =) Goddamn, what *have* I been doing with my life? LOL I need to get a desk organizer, or something...
lims   Wednesday, November 03, 2004, 23:58 GMT
The word 'whilst'.. love that word.. and the word 'Shire'. There's a lot: nature, creek, brook, ocean, stream, lake, tree, leaf, petal, wintercrest, evergreen... and also 'freak' comes to mind now...
chan   Saturday, November 06, 2004, 03:06 GMT
the coolest word is the word "cool"!!!!
Damian   Saturday, November 06, 2004, 13:30 GMT
"Cool"?

Standing for an hour outside a supermarket in Edinburgh doing a flag day collection for a charity on a January morning. For cool substitute "frigid".

So that's my "cool" word today.