french language is very ambiguous

Easterner   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 09:13 GMT
Sorry, MY French teachers...
Easty, evolved from Easterner   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 09:36 GMT
>> "soixante-dix", "quatre-vingt" were/are Celtic ways of counting.<í

Another good example of this is the traditional Welsh system (I learnt it has been replaced by a decimal one). Some examples:

20 - ugain
30 - deg ar hugain - "ten and twenty" ("hugain" is the result of initial mutation)
40 - deugain - "two twenties"
50 - deugain a deg - "two twenties and ten"
80 - pedwar ugain - "four twenties" cf. "quatre-vingt"
90 - pedwar ugain a deg - "four twenties and ten" cf. "quatre-vingt dix"
nic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 10:00 GMT
Easterner,

About counting i did not say you were wrong, i just said for example : trenta mille, trenta cinque, Ciento mille y uno.... so i was thinking about about italian.

1st celtics come from what is actually Austria, close to Italy, so there must be a link.

Gallic influences in France are = to 0, for a simple reason, what do we have from their architecture? Nothing.

Gallic is a funny expression because there was not 1 gallic language but several with several cultures.
There was la Gaule Cisalpine = What looks like actually like France
Gaule transalpine = what looks actually like North Italy.

We don't say La Gaule but Les Gaules...

They were not unified and some of them were romanised before the invasion like it was the case for the Arvernes who are actually the auvergnats.

I expressed myself badly, sorry.

About frankish influence, you are absolutly right.

What you said about the welsh is interesting, because they are very close to bretons (french ones).

About phonetic and the francs, frankish you are right, that's where come our famous "r", close to the spanish "J" like for example jota.

For "donner un coup d'oeil" i have never heard that expression in french from France, i have asker to my colleagues who are from 2 different countries in the north, they don't know it. Maybe it comes from Quebec, Belgium, Swiss...?
Easterner   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 10:22 GMT
nic,

As I said, I always appreciate a correction, I'm not French, just a lover of French language and culture. :-) But I'm glad we agree on the basic points.

As for the ancient Roman province, as I know, the English expression is Gaul for both the territory and the inhabitants, and the language is Gaulish. So it was not very correct to use Gallic. By the way, as I know, the cock became the national symbol of France because of the similarity between the Roman name for an inhabitant of Gaul ("Gallus") and that for a cock ("gallo"). Is that correct?
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 10:36 GMT
>>As for the ancient Roman province, as I know, the English expression is Gaul for both the territory and the inhabitants, and the language is Gaulish.<<

It was still called Gaul ~ La Gaule after the Romans annexed it.

>>If belgians count septante, it's not because of celtic origins but because of Napeleon. <<

My point is, it's because the Gauls had their own language, that the Latin forms (in this case for counting) were more prevalent in the Swiss and Belgian dialects. I think Easterner was leading at the Gaulish influence on French syntax where he wrote "periphrasis and idioms".

I don't see the relationship between Napoleon and these lexical roots, which were utilised 100s of years before his birth.

Donner un coup d'oeil is standard but is obviously not as popular as jeter un coup d'oeil: maybe that's why you hadn't heard of it. You'll find more hits on Google if you conjugate "donner".
nic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 10:48 GMT
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 10:59 GMT
Hits ~ Résultats:

"Pages : France" <-- sélectionner

Résultats 1 - 10 sur un total d'environ 193 pour "donner un coup d'oeil". (0,41 secondes)
Résultats 1 - 10 sur un total d'environ 226 pour "donne un coup d'oeil". (0,41 secondes)
Résultats 1 - 10 sur un total d'environ 226 pour "donné un coup d'oeil". (0,36 secondes)

donnes, donnons, donnent, donnez, etc
Tiste   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 12:09 GMT
to Nic
>If belgians count septante, it's not because of celtic origins but because of Napeleon. <

You should know that (southern) belgians speak Walloon ( a Belgo-Roman language derived from the "oïl " language ....
Tiste   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 12:13 GMT
Better definition of Walloon:

Walloon (Walon) is a regional Romance language spoken in Belgium. It belongs to the langue d'oïl linguistic family, whose most prominent member is the French language, and is sometimes considered a French dialect. Walloon should not be confused with Belgian French, which differs from the French of France only in vocabulary and pronunciation.
nic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 12:14 GMT
http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=donner+un+coup+d%27oeil&btnG=Rechercher&meta=cr%3DcountryFR

You will notice you don't find all together "donner un coup d'oeil
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 12:31 GMT
nic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 13:01 GMT
Well done for the LOL, i have never heard that expression.

The way we count in french has not been inspired by Celtics, lookk ahead it says in middle age we use to count 1 20, 2 20...

It is only on the 17th century french has used the system like soixante dix, quatre vingt un...

Just read the article

SEPTANTE? OCTANTE , NONANTE

septante
octante (huitante)
nonante

soixante-dix
quatre-vingts
quatre-vingt-dix

Pourquoi avoir compliqué avec des formes en vingt et dix?

C'est historiquement l'inverse qui s'est passé!

§ Au Moyen Âge,

Ø On avait coutume en France de compter de vingt en vingt

Ø On trouvait les formes vint et dis (30), deux vins (40), trois vins (60), etc

Ø Saint Louis fonda, par exemple, l’hospice des Quinze-vingts (des 300 aveugles)

§ Le système à base 20,

Ø dit «système vicésimal »

Ø était utilisé par les Celtes et par les Normands

Ø Ils l'ont introduit en Gaule

§ Dès la fin du Moyen Âge,

Ø les formes trente, quarante, cinquante, soixante s'imposent

Ø les suivantes résistent et subsistent!

v Pourquoi? Nul ne le sait

v Certains pensent que l'usage des 20 et 10 pour ces grands nombres facilitait le calcul mental

§ C’est au XVIIe siècle,

Ø sous l’influence de Vaugelas et de Ménage,

Ø que l’Académie et les auteurs de dictionnaires ont adopté définitivement

Ø les formes soixante-dix, quatre-vingts, quatre-vingt-dix

§ Il est à noter pourtant que

Ø les mots septante, octante, nonante figurent dans toutes les éditions du Dictionnaire de l’Académie française.

§ Encore conseillés par les Instructions officielles de 1945

Ø pour faciliter l’apprentissage du calcul,

Ø ils restent connus dans l’usage parlé de nombreuses régions de l’Est et du Midi de la France, ainsi qu’en Acadie.

§ Ils sont officiels en Belgique et en Suisse (comme en outre, dans ce pays, huitante)

http://membres.lycos.fr/villemingerard/Numerati/Septante.htm
nic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 13:14 GMT
Pourquoi SOIXANTE-DIX?
Pour le Belge et le Suisse, le nombre 70 s'appelle septante. Par contre, pour le Français, il se nomme soixante-dix. Comment ce terme, soixante-dix, est-il donc apparu ? Comment a-t-il supplanté la forme septante, qui était encore courante au XVIIIème siècle à Paris ?

Si l'on veut expliquer l'origine de soixante-dix, il faut se référer à la manière dont les enfants apprenent à compter.
En effet, l'apprentissage des nombres se fait généralement en les énumérant les uns à la suite des autres. Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, dix, onze, douze...

Arrivés à soixante-neuf, les enfants qui apprenaient à compter, au lieu d'enchaîner avec septante, auraient alors continué avec soixante-dix, soixante et onze, soixante-douze... Les parents les auraient, dans un premier temps, corrigés pour ensuite abandonner leur septante et adopter le soixante-dix.
C'est ainsi que l'on justifie l'apparition de la forme soixante-dix.

Après soixante-dix-neuf, on arrivait à "soixante-vingt" mais c'est, finalement, l'appelation quatre-vingts, très répendue à l'époque, qui s'est imposée pour désigner la valeur 80...

http://www.google.fr/search?q=cache:AtGsQ4vRpAkJ:users.skynet.be/ekurea/70_99/de70a99.html+nonante&hl=fr
Steve K   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 13:28 GMT
The Danes still count in 20s. Fifty is half threes, sixty is threes, seventy half fours etc.
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 13:35 GMT
nic wrote:
>>§ Le système à base 20,
Ø dit «système vicésimal »
Ø était utilisé par les Celtes et par les Normands
Ø Ils l'ont introduit en Gaule <<

Ils l'ont introduit en Gaule. Qui? les Celtes et les Normands.