airplane or aeroplane

Xatufan   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 03:23 GMT
La raposa le dijo al mono:
- Que largo rabo tenís.
Y el mono le contestó:
- Y el tuyo ¿por qué no lo vis?

"Raposa" and "can" exist in Spanish, but "zorra" and "perro" are more common. "Hiniestra" does not exist in modern Spanish.

By the way, "zorra" also means "prostitute" like in "vil zorra resbalosa".
Xatufan   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 03:25 GMT
La raposa le dijo al mono:
- Que largo rabo tenís.
Y el mono le contestó:
- Y el tuyo ¿por qué no lo vis?

"Raposa" and "can" exist in Spanish, but "zorra" and "perro" are more common. "Hiniestra" does not exist in modern Spanish.
Toasté   Monday, December 13, 2004, 16:14 GMT
Airspace - aerospace... Airspace IS a word, it is used to describe the airways managed and controlled by a country. Canadian airspace is controlled by NAV CANADA. U.S. airspace is jointly controlled by the FAA and the U.S. Military.

Aerospace, refers to the industry that develops and builds aircraft, spacecraft and aviation related equipment. Very different.

"Air" words for parts of the aviation industry (like airplane and airport) do tend to be North American while "aero" terms (like aeroplane aeroport) are British/Australian lines.

The major exception to this is the term "Aerodrome" which is an accepted term on both sides of the Atlantic. An aerodrome is more than an airport -- it includes all the aviation infrastructure around the airport, in addition to the terminal, runway and tower. Not all airports are aerodromes.
Sehrish   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 12:23 GMT
Here in Pakistan mostly the people use"Aeroplane" But i like to say"Airplane".
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 12:39 GMT
Toasté : there is no "aeroport" in English, at least not in British or Australian English.
Toasté   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 15:06 GMT
Thank you for correcting me Nick.

Actually, the word aeroport is used by some people in Britain (although I admit that I don't know about Australia). It is not the most popular variant, and I know that Heathrow, Gatwick, etc. are all airports.

But if you look in British government transport reports you will see aeroport used.

Anyway, my point was that there is generally an Atlantic divide between aero usages and air usages but like everything the lines are blurry.
Ved   Friday, December 24, 2004, 04:53 GMT
Airplane. I don't believe any of my British friends say "aeroplane". It sounds to me like something the Queen would say if she were constipated. Pardon the vivid language.