Most annoying mispronunciation

Easterner   Monday, December 20, 2004, 01:10 GMT
Annabelle said: "As for the other post from Easterner, you're kidding me! Are you Serious? You really actually met Ole Evinrude? If you did, That's Amazing!"

I didn't meet him, but the name made me interested and I performed an online search. Both sites below will tell you just that:
http://www.acbs-bslol.com/Porthole/OleEvinrude.htm
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAevinrude.htm

Of course, the fact that he was born in Norway does not exclude the possibility that he may have had some Celtic ancestry. The Norse Vikings actually did abide in Ireland for some time parallel with the Danes ruling part of England, so everything is possible... :)
Easterner   Monday, December 20, 2004, 02:06 GMT
"It sounds more like she says, "Fásta, Aven Rude, fásta!" Is it definitely the Hungarian Accent?"

Yes, I can imagine a Hungarian speaking English like that, though I haven't actually heard Eva Gabor speak in a movie. But why is it that you ask everything twice? No offense, just wondering...
mjd   Monday, December 20, 2004, 05:10 GMT
Texan,

I'd address your question, but then again, why should I bother?
Annabelle   Monday, December 20, 2004, 05:46 GMT
Easterner, It wasn't the same question as the other one. I can't believe you thought this!
Easterner   Monday, December 20, 2004, 07:21 GMT
OK, please forget it...
Annabelle   Monday, December 20, 2004, 07:25 GMT
Regarding a post from Phonics, what is a Velar Voiced Fricative?
Easterner   Monday, December 20, 2004, 08:31 GMT
The velar voiced fricative is a consonantal sound formed with a flow of air and the tongue touching the soft palate or velum, and also involving the vocal cords. It is present in e.g. Arabic, and as I know, it was also present in some dialects of Middle English. A more technical description is available here:
http://www.e-paranoids.com/v/vo/voiced_velar_fricative.html
By the way, I think what Phonic meant was the /x/ sound found e.g. in Scottish "loch" or German "Bach", but as I know it is voiceless. Or is there somebody out there to correct me? :)
Texan   Monday, December 20, 2004, 23:49 GMT
''Texan,

''I'd address your question, but then again, why should I bother?''

mjd, What? Are you from New Jersey? Are you one of those people who mispronounce ''dial'' as ''dile''? ''dial'' is supposed to be a two-syllable word but many New Jerseyans mispronounce it ''dile''. I'm from ''texas'' and I pronounce ''dial'' as [dai-..l] ''two syllables''.
Tiffany   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:09 GMT
I pronounce "dial" as "dile" with one syllable - I'm from Southern Florida. Have you ever seen a Dial soap commercial, Texan? They pronounce it with one as well!
Steve   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:15 GMT
I'm from Florida and I pronounce ''dial'' with two syllables [dai-..l] but I do the same with ''tile'' [tai-..l] ''tie-ul''.
Tiffany   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:18 GMT
It'd be interesting to see if all americans who say "dai-ul" also say "tie-ul". I rhyme "tile" with "dial" - so yes, both are one syllable.
Tiffany   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:21 GMT
I'm currently on the west coast (california) and just asked a co-worker of mine (native of california) to pronounce "dial" - one syllable for him as well.
Joe   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:27 GMT
''It'd be interesting to see if all americans who say "dai-ul" also say "tie-ul". I rhyme "tile" with "dial" - so yes, both are one syllable.''

Tiffany, what about ''diaper''? Do you pronounce ''diaper'' as ''diper''? I say ''die-uh-per'' (three syllables) and similarly I say ''die-uh-mund'' for ''diamond''.

For me ''dial'' and ''tile'' are both two syllable words. The long ''i'' sound kind of forces the ''l'' into a second syllable. Similarly, ''fire'' is also two syllables in my accent.
Joe   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:52 GMT
Tiffany   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 00:59 GMT
Interesting Joe. I pronounce diaper as "die-per". On that pronunciation sample of dial, isn't what she pronounced one syllable? Because that's exactly the same way I pronounce it. Tile as well. Of course, she puts a third syllable in diaper which I do not.

As for fire - two syllables here.