A Simple Unscientific Poll

Adam   Monday, December 06, 2004, 00:47 GMT
With all the debate on this site about spelling reform I thought it might be a good idea to have a vote. Who is for and who is against. If you want to take part just post a 'yae' or a 'nae', no other comments or justifications required.
Steve K   Monday, December 06, 2004, 01:13 GMT
English speaking countries should keep the present spelling.

If International users of English want to change the spelling let's first see if they can agree.If yes, then I would support that as an alternative form of English.
mjd   Monday, December 06, 2004, 01:13 GMT
nae
lims   Monday, December 06, 2004, 01:33 GMT
Nae, no more confusions.
Keep spelling the way it is.   Monday, December 06, 2004, 01:46 GMT
Nae, I'm against it. Except perhaps for getting rid of the several ''ough'' differences.
Easterner   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:01 GMT
I'm a non-native, but I think it is too late for that. How could you get English speakers living on five continents and speaking the most prestigious language of the world to write differently from tomorrow? There would have been a chance for this three hundred years ago, but no longer. And I think non-native speakers are not much bothered by the "illogical" spelling of English either, they can put up with learning the spelling of all words induividually. Sometimes non-natives even seem to be better at coping with English orthography than some natives.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:02 GMT
Naeigh
Keep spelling the way it is.   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:26 GMT
Jim, ''Naeigh'' was not one of the options but I agree with your opinion that spelling reform is a bad idea.
)-   Monday, December 06, 2004, 04:48 GMT
why not, may be is attractive. Yae!!!!!!!!!
Brennus   Monday, December 06, 2004, 06:15 GMT

Yea. Spelling reform; something like an English language equivalent of the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
Tiffany   Monday, December 06, 2004, 06:39 GMT
No nay or yay for me, just an observation. Though spelling reform may have its merit, who would accept it and why? The last spelling reform came when America wanted to separate itself from Britain. What emotional force is driving this reform? None.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 06:57 GMT
A phonemic alphabet would be better than a phonetic one, e.g., the Pitman Initial Teaching Alphabet.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ita.htm

But one problem is that everyone pronounces things differently.

Another problem is that phonemic spelling ignores morphology. How would it be if we had a reform like this?

nation ==>> nāshøn *
national ==>> næshønøl
nationality ==>> næshønæløty

parent ==>> përønt
parental ==>> pørentøl

* This is supposed to be an "a" with a macron. I don't think it's going to work. If it doesn't work then go with this.

nation ==>> náshøn
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 07:03 GMT
I didn't think that it would work. Here's something better anyway.

nation ==>> nášøn
national ==>> næšønøl
nationality ==>> næšønæløt
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 07:05 GMT
Only half of that post came out.

nation ==>> nášøn
national ==>> næšønøl
nationality ==>> næšønæløt
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 07:07 GMT
It happened again. I guess Antimoon just doesn't like a "y" with diaeresis. How about this?

nation ==>> nášøn
national ==>> næšønøl
nationality ==>> næšønæløtý

Anyway you can see the point. Spelling should be based on morphology not only phonetics and phonology.