Mary dear, make me Mary, say you'll Mary me.

Freeman   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 23:21 GMT
http://www.alt-usage-english.org/mmm_bc.wav

Why can't Americans tell the difference between the pronunciations of ''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry''? In Scotland, we never pronounce ''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' the same way.
Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 23:49 GMT
Nor do we in Australia but who says the Americans can't tell the difference? Perhaps they can tell the difference but just don't make the distinction. Also be careful not to generalise: there are many different accents in the USA, they don't all pronounce "Mary", "marry" and "merry" as homophones.
Smith   Friday, December 10, 2004, 01:16 GMT
''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' are homophones in all Non-Northeastern American accents (including my accent). In the Northeastern United States i.e. New Jersey, New York, New England etc. there all pronounced differently.

The same goes for pairs like these,

Barry/berry
fairy/ferry
dairy/derry
hairy/Harry
Tarry/Terry
carry/Kerry
Adam   Friday, December 10, 2004, 01:20 GMT
I'm sure they can tell the difference between your pronunciations. I think the question you meant to ask is why don't they pronounce those words like you do. The answer is, Americans are not from Scotland.
Freenelson   Friday, December 10, 2004, 01:52 GMT
I'm not convinced that Freeman is from Scotland either.
Rick   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:02 GMT
I pronounce ''marry'', ''merry'' and ''Mary'' the same way. I'm from California.
Mr. Pen   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:05 GMT
''I'm not convinced that Freeman is from Scotland either.''

I'm not convinced that Freeman is a free man.
Joe   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:07 GMT
''marry'', ''merry'' and ''Mary'' are pronounced the same.
Adam   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:12 GMT
By some people.
mjd   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:29 GMT
Freeman,

If you're really interested in this topic, search the archive. There have been countless discussions about this.

As for your generalization, you're wrong. As Jim noted, I'm an American from a region (New Jersey) in which all three are pronounced differently.
Hello Newman   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:37 GMT
Freeman is really Newman.

http://www.dreams2.com/seinfeld/Jerry - Chunky Newman.mp3
Hello Newman   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:39 GMT
Freeman   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:43 GMT
I'm not Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry Seinfeld is an American, not a Scot.
Freeman   Friday, December 10, 2004, 02:52 GMT
''As for your generalization, you're wrong. As Jim noted, I'm an American from a region (New Jersey) in which all three are pronounced differently.''

Most Americans I've heard on television seem to pronounce ''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' the same way.
Adam   Friday, December 10, 2004, 03:06 GMT
The vast majority do.