The ''oo'' in ''loose'' and ''moose''

Freeman   Monday, December 13, 2004, 04:15 GMT
For me, the ''oo'' sound in ''loose'' is different from the ''oo'' sound in ''moose'' and the words don't rhyme i.e. [lVUS] and [mus] (In X-sampa) but the Cambridge dictionary says that they rhyme. Do any of you pronounce ''loose'' and ''moose'' to rhyme?
Joe   Monday, December 13, 2004, 04:20 GMT
''moose'' and ''loose'' rhyme for me i.e. [mu:s] and [lu:s].

Where are you from, Freeman?
Jim   Monday, December 13, 2004, 06:07 GMT
They rhyme for me.
Freeman   Monday, December 13, 2004, 11:00 GMT
''They rhyme for me.''

Jim, do you pronounce them both with [VU] or both with [u] (in-x-Sampa)
Jim   Monday, December 13, 2004, 14:14 GMT
I can't get hold of SAMPA @ the moment but the vowel would be IPA's crossed "u" (central rounded close) & long.
Tiffany   Monday, December 13, 2004, 18:50 GMT
I'm from the US and they rhyme for me.
Freeman   Monday, December 13, 2004, 19:45 GMT
''I can't get hold of SAMPA @ the moment but the vowel would be IPA's crossed "u" (central rounded close) & long.''

Oh, interesting. That's different from the pronunciation of the ''oo'' vowel phoneme in ''loose'' in Scotland and I think you're from Australia, right? In my Scottish accent the vowel sound in ''loose'' is a short vowel [u] and the vowel sound in ''moose'' is a diphthong [VU].
Freeman   Monday, December 13, 2004, 22:29 GMT
''the vowel would be IPA's crossed "u" (central rounded close) & long.''

I have that sound in my accent but it's a different phoneme though, not the phoneme in the word ''loose''.

I was just wondering, Is there any way that X-Sampa could be made into a phonemic alphabet for English? There is Tom's chart but Tom's chart doesn't include all of the phonemes in my Scottish accent and so it wouldn't be a very good thing to use to shew phonemic transcriptions in my accent. X-sampa would be better.

''Where are you from, Freeman?''

I'm from Scotland.
Jim   Monday, December 13, 2004, 23:33 GMT
You could base a phonemic alphabet for English on X-SAMPA if you wanted. I am from Australia, yes.
Pat the Expat   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 15:08 GMT
In Toronto there used to be a bar called the Loose Moose and it rhymed. Although not always around closing time.
Brennus   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 23:39 GMT

The OO in words like "moose", "loose" or "choose" represents a back u sound . There is another kind of back u sound written like an upside down letter 'm' in the international phonetic alphabet (see IPA) . It is found in Korean, Japanese, Turkish and even some dialects of Irish and Scottish Gaelic . I have heard it even in the accents of some Koreans and Japanese even when they speak English. However, I have never heard anything but the first back u sound in English for pronouncing these words.

There is a central u sound like the OO in "look" and "book" which sometimes appears in the pronunciations of ROOF ; HOOF and their plurals ROOFS; ROOVES / HOOFS / HOOVES . I think that most of you have heard an English speaker or two that pronounces it this way before . For just a few of you, it may even be your native pronunciation.
Freeman   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 00:18 GMT
Quote-''The OO in words like "moose", "loose" or "choose" represents a back u sound . There is another kind of back u sound written like an upside down letter 'm' in the international phonetic alphabet (see IPA) . It is found in Korean, Japanese, Turkish and even some dialects of Irish and Scottish Gaelic . I have heard it even in the accents of some Koreans and Japanese even when they speak English. However, I have never heard anything but the first back u sound in English for pronouncing these words.''

For me the vowel sound in ''moose'', and ''choose'' is the first back ''u'' sound you were describing, in X-sampa [u]. The vowel sound in ''loose'' is a diphthong [VU] (in X-sampa). I think the distinction between the ''oo'' in ''moose'' and the ''oo'' in ''loose'' is mainly restricted to Scotland probably.

For me, ''Loose Moose'' wouldn't rhyme.
Jim   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 00:25 GMT
I don't mean to call you wrong, Brennus, just filling in some details. Whilst the "oo" in "moose", "loose" and "choose" may represent a back vowel in RP and midwestern US English I don't believe that I was wrong to say that I pronounce it as a central vowel. If the following charts are anything to go by, this is how it's pronounced in AusE and NZE.

http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/units/ling210-901/phonetics/vowelgraphs/AusE_Monophthongs.html

http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/units/ling210-901/phonetics/vowelgraphs/NZE_Monophthongs.html
Freeman   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 00:57 GMT
Jim, I think that pronouncing the ''oo'' in ''moose'' as a central vowel is mainly restricted to Australia and New Zealand (and maybe South Africa too.). Here in Scotland and over in England, Wales, Ireland, Canada and America it's always pronounced as a back vowel.
Jim   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 01:40 GMT
That may be but I think I recall reading otherwise somewhere.