Chinese will be a powerful weapon

Join   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 05:20 GMT
if you want to get a better job,and can afford most of what you want to belong to,then master Chinese.I start this topic,and welcome any guys of you to talk about this topic.You can tell us yes or no,but do not forget add the reasons,whatever,that's the most important.
Canadian Adam   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 05:21 GMT
How can we get a better job if we learn Chinese?
Brennus   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 05:38 GMT
The problem is that no Westerner ever really learns Chinese. On the other hand, the Chinese seem to learn English, French and Esperanto all pretty well.
somone   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 06:53 GMT
China will be an economic power house in the near future. Its GPD is $6.5 trilliion or $5000 per capita and growing at a 10% annual rate. This is mind boggling! Money is Power, so that says it all!
But I still don't see why people can get a better job because they learn Chinese. Btw, I noticed some Chinese here sound pretty arrogant... I have to say they don't represent other Chinese!
David Winters   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 07:23 GMT
I'm not going to learn Chinese just to get a better job. And I doubt mst other Westerners will, either. It's illogical.

China can kiss my arse, and so can their nonsensical, pictograph-using, multi-tonal bastard language.
abc   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 09:36 GMT
hahahah David Winters, you are one bitter, disgruntled man!

BTw: are the chinese good at art? I mean, drawing all those minute details in their character would surely make for a steady, artistic hand?
lucky   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 10:13 GMT
just because you can speak Chinese doesn't mean you will get a better job.

if you can speak it well, you can get a work that needs Chinese speaker. but does that always mean a success? no. that's nothing but just one of many other jobs.

in short, it may offer you more chance to get a job, but that's all.
I can say it's helpful, but not powerful.

to abc

I don't know if chinese are good at art. but penmanship is a part of art in China. sometimes real good penmanship is sold at quite high price just like well-known paintings do in other countries.
Boy   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 10:29 GMT
I just wanna say that when we people came to this planet then we didn't bring anything with us and when we leave this planet again we won't take anything away from here. So learning a language for the sake of gaining our own materialistic desires doesn't make any sense. Oneday I'll learn chinese just because I have love for the language and its people. That's how I thought when I resorted to learning the English language. I'm learning it just because I love for it and its people. I wanted to know how they expressed their feelings in their native language. I don't even want to come to western countries. But I'll be satisfied myself when I can understand a native speaker of the language in TV programmes. Anyway, I didn't mind the tone of DAVID as he just spoke his mind and didn't resort to a diplomatic language like most of the people do 24 hours. He expressed his feelings the way he had in his body system without diluting them with sweety words.
Kyaz   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 10:56 GMT
"BTw: are the chinese good at art? I mean, drawing all those minute details in their character would surely make for a steady, artistic hand? "

Just because they write Chinese characters it doesn't mean they have a "steady, artistic hand". Personally, I think the people from China write the most ugly Chinese characters in all of Asia. I'm not a big fan of simplified Chinese, either.

Chinese may be essential in SOME jobs, very useful in others, and just look attractive on the resume for some (just like all other languages), but how can it get everybody a "better job"?
Steve K   Thursday, January 13, 2005, 16:06 GMT
Much about China is being overhyped right now. There is a lot of business done there, but even more done in Japan. I do not see people flocking to learn Japanese. The tones and the characters will remain a barrier for others to learn Chinese.

Furthermore the cultural radiance of Chinese art, literature, pop culture etc. is limited. Japan has had much more influence on the world in areas like architecture, food, fashion, manga, computer games etc. than China. It takes more than economic growth to make a language popular worldwide.

As for foreigners learning Chinese. I know many who have learned to speak it well. You may see a video interview in English and Chinese that I recently conducted in Taiwan by going to

http://audio.thelinguist.com/media/att.wmv

If you happen to be in China go to

http://www.thelinguist.cn/media/att.wmv
Hom   Friday, January 14, 2005, 03:58 GMT
Steve,I'm wondering why all of my emails to you are returned rudely.I'm very sorry about that.But I still want to know why.
Steve K   Friday, January 14, 2005, 04:55 GMT
I have no idea. What do you mean by rudely? Try steve@thelinguist.com
Jim   Friday, January 14, 2005, 06:24 GMT
It all depends on the job, though, doesn't it? I mean the vast majority of jobs in most countries as not involved in international trade.

We're not all international bussinessmen. What good is Chinese to a Mexican bus driver or an Afghani poppy farmer?

There is no one thing to master in order to get a better job. Everyone has a different situation.

That said, however, China does seem set to become a very strong economic power in the near future. Hence Chinese might help some of us to get a better job.

But how does it make Chinese a weapon? You don't get a better job by weilding weapons ... unless you're the violent type involved in organised crime.
Jim   Friday, January 14, 2005, 06:26 GMT
typo: "... are not involved in ..." not "... as not involved in ..."
Canadian Adam   Friday, January 14, 2005, 06:46 GMT
I know westerners who have worked for Chinese companies in China, and most didn't like it. It is not the working environment most people from the west are used to. The trademark of working for a Chinese company seems to be long hours, never being told what is going on (even without the disadvantage of a language barrier), and a very disorganized environment overall.

I work in China, but not for a completely Chinese run company, so I have run into some of these problems, but not all of them. Then again, I didn't have to speak Chinese to work here.