spanish and italian

Someone   Monday, February 07, 2005, 03:47 GMT
My post was just a wild guess. I thought I'd read something that said that.
Pedro   Monday, February 07, 2005, 05:12 GMT
<<You don't have to but you'd have to make a human occlusive sound (putting your mouth together to produce a consonant). It could be "brrr! brrr" although the "b" can become so oclusive that it ends up becoming a "p":"prrr" "prrr". Just put your lips tightly together as if you were really angry! From "orrr!" you need a vowel to make a proper word. "perr" and then you need a gender in Romance languages "perro/perra". >>

Cats purr (prrr) so they should've been the species to be called perro/perra. Dogs growl (grrrrrr) so they should've been called "guerro/guerra". That way a dog lover can have a bumper sticker that says, "Yo quiero guerras!"
Pedro   Monday, February 07, 2005, 06:27 GMT
Since I assume you are of Iberian descent you should know that cats "ronronean" (rronrronean) and dogs "gruñen" (grruñen). I don't think Iberian cats and dogs spoke English and the only thing it proves is that old English probably where much more rhotic than they are now (maybe they sounded like the Scots).
Jordi   Monday, February 07, 2005, 06:31 GMT
Pardon me, Pedro. That message was mine.
Old English people were probably (editing again)
Xatufan   Tuesday, February 08, 2005, 19:42 GMT
Catalan has 'gós' and 'ca' (ca < Latin 'canis')

Spanish has 'perro' and also 'can' (can < Latin 'canis')

I suppose 'bread' in Catalan is 'pa' because Italian has 'cane' (dog) and 'pane' (bread) and they rhyme. Also, Spanish 'can' and 'pan'; they rhyme. And also remember Latin 'canis' and 'panis'.
Jordi   Tuesday, February 08, 2005, 19:48 GMT
You are right Xatufan. Catalan loses Latin etymological "n" endings although it recovers them in plural: pa/pans, ca/cans. You could, therefore, be Xatufà in Catalan if your name is some sort of Latin hero.If there were several of you (I trust not) they would be Xatufans. :-)
Xatufan   Tuesday, February 08, 2005, 19:50 GMT
By the way (clue for LA PARTE...):

Mi amistad se fue de aquí, y yo,
yo pienso que ya me morí, ya me morí,
si estás aquí o si te vas,
dame una señaaaaaaaaal,
dame, nene, una vez más.

This is the complete chorus of the song. Now it's easier to guess, especially for the two last lines.
Jordi   Tuesday, February 08, 2005, 19:56 GMT
Xatufán,
Eso de "dame nene una vez más" suena fatal pero que fatal... ;-)
Gui   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 07:55 GMT
<<Catalan loses Latin etymological "n" endings although it recovers them in plural: pa/pans, ca/cans.>>

In Lengadocian and Gascon, final "n's" are retained when written, but are silent when spoken, making them sound similar to Catalan/Català:

pan (pa), can (ka), vin (bi), tanben (tabé), oc-ben (o-bé), va plan (ba pla)

(In case anyone was wondering...)
Xatufan   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 18:52 GMT
Por supuesto que suena terrible pero es una canción muy famosa; yo sólo la traduje. OK, es "... Baby 1 more time".

By the way, Languedocian and Gascon look like an African language or an African créole.

<<vin (bi)>>

Basque influence!!!!!
Jordi   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 19:07 GMT
Dear Xatufan,
I could also make a joke and say that Spanish also sounds like an African creole: "mi mamá me mima" o "tu tonto".
Or like an Arabic dialect:
"Ata la jaca a la reja." or "Se aleja la almeja."
That would, of course, be ridiculous.
Xatufan   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 19:16 GMT
Yes, yesªªªª!
Xatufan   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 19:17 GMT
Soy el Genio Matamba, el que da un deseo por una gamba. Pero como estamos dolarizados, cobro un dólar nada más.
João   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 21:03 GMT
Jordi, what's going on in your country??? The Basques are acting up again!
Jordi   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 21:14 GMT
You can read all that in the press through the Internet since I'm quite sure that being Portuguese (or Brazilian?) you can easily read all that. I'm quite shocked myself.