Does ANYBODY understand the poetry of Robbie Burns?

Damian   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 08:25 GMT
I am so sorry but I overlooked this one......my apologies! Slappy wristy time...

"Auld Lang Syne"....it means for the sake of "old times"....nostalgic remembrance of people and things.

Should people you once knew in times past are no longer in he forefront of your mind...in other words, have been "forgotten"....then now is the time to raise a glass and toast the memory of your former acquaintance in a sentiment of kindness.

The most common occasion to do this, of course, is Hogmanay (New Year's Eve in Scotland) when one Year dies with all it's memories and a New Year lies ahead..hopefully full of promise, and perhaps a renewal of "old acquaintances". For auld lang syne...

That's the best I can do! Hae a guid one.....already a month of the "new" year has gone! ;-)

Damian
Easterner   Thursday, February 03, 2005, 19:05 GMT
I generally understand the Scots in Burns' poems fairly well (with a little effort), although I must confess I am at a loss with some of them.

By the way, Robbie Burns Day was quite widely celebrated in Hungary this year, and his songs are quite often put into music here, albeit in good Hungarian translation. I particularly like the translations of "John Anderson" and "Mary Morrison".