Artificial (Made-up) languages

Jim   Friday, February 04, 2005, 02:47 GMT
Tolkein did pretty well out of the hobby.
Linguist   Friday, February 04, 2005, 16:52 GMT
I think all conlangs are absolutely useless, and people who invent them, just dont know what to do, well i can admit the great work of Tolkien, he was just a writer and his languages were just "for fun". But i dont understand others like Zamenhof - Esperanto was made on the basis of Romance languages mostly, and how this language can become a universal one? it can be such one for western europeans, but the world is much bigger, with many cultural differences, so if to create a real universal language, one must think of different world cultures and civilisations, of different writing systems and different languages (as languages "think" very differently), so do u really think its possible to make a language which will be appreciated by everyone? I'm sure it will never happen, conlangs are useless, nothing can be better then a nature language.
!Flemish-dude!   Friday, February 04, 2005, 21:51 GMT
I heard Tolkien used a lot of Anglo-Saxon words to compose the common speech .Could someone confirm if this is true ?

I admire J.RR Tolkien in many ways . You really must have a tremendous imagination to create you're own language(s) !( Tolkien did not only compose standard forms, but many dialects too )...

I also heard some extremists learn Elfish ( dunno what kind ) and use it in small communities . ( this is probably just a rumour )
Elaine   Friday, February 04, 2005, 23:01 GMT
There was actually an old documentary about J.R.R. Tolkien on television the other day and it showed that on the 10th anniversary of his death, a group of his diehard fans gathered for a wedding conducted entirely in Elvish. They all struck me as the Dungeon's & Dragons-playing / Renaissance Faire-going crowd that we used to laugh at in school.

A site about the Elvish language(s):
http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/
!Flemish-dude!   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 09:30 GMT
It's allright to know an Elvish language or other of Tolkiens languages , but think it's not OK to be obsessed (am I saying it right ? ) about it and use it in every day life
Brennus   Tuesday, February 08, 2005, 22:57 GMT
Studying artificial languages can be valuable inasmuch as you can learn a lot about grammar and how to get verbs to agree with their subjects. Since most artificial languages are based on existing languages (Esperanto - a blend of Latin, English, German and Romance elements; All Teutonish - a simplified blend of Anglo-Saxon English and German; Interlingua - a mixture of Latin and Romance with Chinese-like sentence structure) you can learn more about the world's natural languages by studying artificial (or constructed) languages too.
from OHIO   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 00:25 GMT
All I can tell you about Esperanto is that is spoken by gypsies, but I think they mix it with the official language of the country they live in.
Majority of them live in Hungary and Romania and I think there are quiet a few in Bulgaria. Not many anymore in Germany because they got kicked out a few years ago :)
from OHIO   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 01:11 GMT
Flemish-dude,

I'm assuming that you speak Flemish, if you don't, just ignore my question .
Here is my question:
I know Flemish language has become obligatory years ago, in early 90's, if I'm not mistaken, and I also know that it's a Germanic language.
How hard was for the French speaking people to learn Flemish?
And how much time they were given to learn the new language?

Thanks
american nic   Wednesday, February 09, 2005, 03:13 GMT
Flemish is just a variety of Dutch.
!Flemish-dude!   Thursday, February 10, 2005, 16:04 GMT
american nic ,

That's true ( I'm a speaker of the Antwerp-dialect ) , but however there's one Flemish dialect which differs tremendously from the others . I'm talking about West-Femish (or Zeelandic ). No other Flemings/Dutch can understand this dialect ...

from OHIO ,

The french-speaking community doesn't even care that 60 % of the country speaks Dutch ( Flemish ). They are stubborn to learn Flemish ( I understand it's hard for them , but look at the region of Fouron , all those Walloons can speak Flemish almost perfectly ) . What's this about how much time they we're given ??? They can learn it whenever they like.