Brazilian Portuguese is a diglossic language

!   Thursday, February 10, 2005, 12:17 GMT
I'm reffering to Americans who have to play a British person :p
Not American actors in general

( Sorry for this error :p :p :p )
Jo   Friday, February 11, 2005, 17:24 GMT
Brazilians , there are 10's of thousands working in Portugal, will understand Portuguese Portuguese within a couple of days.
They get employed as waiters and shop assistants. They wouldn't if they didn't understand a word, would they?
Jacyra   Friday, February 11, 2005, 19:05 GMT
Well, there are only 0.1 % of our Brazilian population working/living in Portugal.
What a large percentage!
German people living in Switzerland understand Swiss German, but this does not automatically mean that German people living in Germany can understand Swiss German.
The most receptive country for Brazlians is the USA, not Portugal!
Get your facts straight!
Jordi   Friday, February 11, 2005, 19:44 GMT
I would have imagined the Brazilians liked the Portuguese more than the US Americans. I añso imagine it has nothing to do with culture but more with a feeling of subjective power.

How long does it take a Brazilian to learn English and how long does is take a Brazilian to learn Standard European Portuguese? I would say one week in Portugal would be enough to get used to the phonetics and the biggest oddities and, perhaps, some Brazilians still speak very poor English after five years in the United Stated.

I also imagine that the many European Portuguese living in Brazil end up speaking Brazilian Portuguese. In case you think it's because they are different languages, many British people living in the US end up sounding quite American.
mjd   Friday, February 11, 2005, 19:46 GMT
I'm actually going to be in Portugal for the next two weeks, so I'll have to report back if I run into any Brazilians and find out their impressions with regard to the different dialects of Portuguese.
Vitaminada   Friday, February 11, 2005, 21:03 GMT
Well, we know you're of Portuguese-origin and you Portuguese are very ''fond'' of your ex-colonies (some Portuguese still consider them COLONIES). You say our soap operas don't use ''correct'' Portuguese, but you like watching them. So, I think many people just watch them to laugh at ''grammar mistakes'' we do.
Miquel   Friday, February 11, 2005, 21:10 GMT

Tenho amigos portugueses e amigos brasileiros. Entre eles falam português sem dificuldade nenhuma. O sotaque é diferente, mas não há dificuldades de compreensão.
Com eles eu falo português... tot i que la meva llengua natural és el català.
Miquel   Friday, February 11, 2005, 21:12 GMT

Ouvi dizer por vezes que os brasileiros não falam "português", mas "pretoguês". Naturalment, é brincadeira.
LosDelMar   Saturday, February 12, 2005, 03:20 GMT
Catalan is just a dialect of Spanish.
Jordi   Saturday, February 12, 2005, 06:11 GMT
The above (from LosDelMar) has been awarded the best joke of the day by Romance-language linguists from all over the world.
Jo   Saturday, February 12, 2005, 12:29 GMT
Well, there are only 0.1 % of our Brazilian population working/living in Portugal. What a large percentage! Jacyra

Who said it was large or small? Any way if you want to get your facts right, work out how much 0.01% is of 180 million.
(Far more than I said)
Ricardo EMB   Saturday, February 12, 2005, 13:27 GMT
To mjd:
Long time, no see ( pulling yr leg)