A pronunciation question from a native speaker

Tom K.   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 15:34 GMT
How does one say "plough" and "slough"? I may be a native speaker but I've never needed to say those words. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say them before.
D   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 16:06 GMT
A plough is an farm implement that turns soil. The word is just another
spelling of plow, and is pronounced the same.

The word 'slough' has differnet meanings, and the pronunciation
changes depending on the meaning. When slough means a muddy
pit, the pronunciation is like the word slew. When slough means
to get rid of somthing (usually you see the phrasal verb 'slough off')
the word 'slough' is pronounced so that if rhymes with 'stuff'.
Tom K.   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:45 GMT
Well, how about that...for years I can remember hearing people use the phrase "slough off" but the whole time I thought it was spelled "sluff."
Deborah   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 23:43 GMT
There's an anthology of Dr. Seuss's early writings (before he started writing children's books) with the title "The Tough Coughs as he Ploughs the Dough." I recall seeing the illustration, but I don't know whether there's an article or story that goes with it.
Damian   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:04 GMT
Plough: rhymes with "now"

Slough: as put by D, BUT.......

....there is a town in the South East of England, to the west of London, called Slough. That place name is pronounced to rhyme with "now", exactly like "plough".

Slough gained fame from a verse by John Betjeman..."come friendly bombs and fall on Slough, it isn't fit for humans now!" He was referring to the industrial development of a former peaceful town prior to WW2, something he regretted, hence the invitation for the Germans to come over and bomb it! The citizens of that town never forgave him for tempting fate, especially as the Germans actually did what he requested!

Recently, Slough became the setting for "The Office", the TV comedy program with the crazy David Brent aka Ricky Gervais.
Damian   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:07 GMT
As you are a "native speaker" (of English I assume) are you absolutely sure you've never heard anyone say those words before???? I find that pretty amazing, to be honest. Well......there we go! ;-)
Jim   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:14 GMT
"Slough" is pretty rare but to never have heard "plough" ...
D   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 01:09 GMT
I think that most native speakers have heard those words but they
may never have seen them in print. Sometimes native thinkers believe
that a certain printed word is actually a different word than its spoken
counterpart, because they have never realized how the spoken word is
spelled.
how now brown slough   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 02:20 GMT
I'm a native speaker and had never heard or seen the word "Slough" til I heard it in a song pronounced "slouw" (a town in England) to rhyme with "plough". I'd say that's because I don't live on a farm or somewhere marshy where I need to talk to animals! This is the song btw:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jam,-the/68867.html
Tom K.   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 14:37 GMT
"I think that most native speakers have heard those words but they
may never have seen them in print. Sometimes native thinkers believe
that a certain printed word is actually a different word than its spoken
counterpart, because they have never realized how the spoken word is
spelled. "

That's fairly accurate. When it comes to "plough," over here in the states it's spelled "plow." I wasn't sure if "plough" was just a different spelling or a different pronunciation as well. As for "slough," like I said I've heard people say "slough off" and I've also seen the word written, but I never quite made the connection that they were the same word.