THE LONGEST THINKABLE WORD IN YOUR LANGUAGE

Tiffany   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:46 GMT
So they are compound words then... a word formed from many other words.
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:18 GMT
Yes and no ,These 2 were ,though they formed a totally new word,most of the words i typed are 1 word

I didnt get the compound-word thing right away....
Its still unique though.....you barely see it in english...
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:21 GMT
And in dutch you cant just put all the words after another theres some very complicated grammer involved...
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:23 GMT
Bye the way did you notice the dutch alphabets unique letter in those words ????

The "IJ" !
Jonne   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:36 GMT
The longest one I know in Finnish is
järjestelmällistämättömyydelläänsäänkäänköhän.

....or kirjastonhoitotaidottomattomuudellaansaankaankohan

well there are loads of words like these..I wouldn't even call them a words.
Damian   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:42 GMT
Iamsopleasedthatpracicallyallwordsintheenglishlanguage areofamanageablelengthasIhaveheardaboutallthoseextremelylongwordsingermanandnowiseethedutchlangagehassimilarlymonstrouslylongwordsandiunderstandthatsomeofthemareactuallyconcoctedwordsdescribingpeoplesprofessionswhichmoreorlesscontainalltheactivitesinvolvedinthejobstheydowhichissoconfusingtopeoplefromothernations.

*pause for breath*

Sander:

Are you going to tell us that ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE appears on all cigarette packs? Then all those health warnings are more than justified. I am now more pleased than ever that I don't smoke, never have and never will!
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:47 GMT
Thats good for you ( I dont smoke to)

But Its "only"the chemical name/word for tobbaco,
Bye the way the names of a lot of organic substances ar this long...
because its not a pure element...like iron or sulfur...for example
Cro Magnon   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 19:48 GMT
WoW! I don't think very many people asked to borrow a cigarette in ancient Rome! :)
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 20:16 GMT
Tobbacco comes from the americas ,It would be pretty difficult to explain what you wanted in ancient rome.....
Ben   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 21:00 GMT
In English, "antidisestablishmentarianism" is about as good as you're going to get, outside of scientific words, which I wouldn't really count.
David Winters   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:30 GMT
LookatmeIcanmakeupridiculouslylongbullsihtwordstoo.

That's one. I can think of a few more if you'd like.
Boy   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 01:54 GMT
david, you are one helluva gem poster. I wish I could borrow your sense of humour.
Ved   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 04:33 GMT
Sanja, how about "prijestolonasljednikovica" (the wife of the heir to the throne)? It appears to be the longest SC word still in use. This is shorter in Ekavian Serbian (prestolonaslednikovica). There's also "potpukovnikovica".

I also came across, "antisamoupravnosocijalistički", but that's not really in vogue anymore, is it?

Serbocroatobosnioherzegoviniomontenegrin isn't really big on long words. I won't even try to top Tiffany's entry for the longest (real) English word.
Ed   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 04:41 GMT
<<"prijestolonasljednikovica" - the wife of the heir to the throne>>

Why the wife? It would be the same word if the heir was a woman, no?
At least in Bulgarian - prestolonaslednitsa - is exactly that.
Jim   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 07:02 GMT
supercalifragilisticexpialidociousantidisestablishmentarianismfloccinaucinihilipilificationotorhinolaryngologicalimmunoelectrophoreticallypsychophysicotherapeuticsthyroparathyroidectomisedpneumoencephalographicallyradioimmunoelectrophoresispsychoneuroendocrinologicalhepaticocholangiogastrostomyspectrophotofluorometricallypseudopseudohypoparathyroidismhonorificabilitudinitypneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosismetaphysicotheologocosmonigologyosteosarchaematosplanchnochondroneuromuelousosseocarnisanguineoviscericartilaginonervomedullarypraetertranssubstantiationalisticallyaequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolicaminoheptafluorocyclotetraphosphonitrile

... but of course I cheat.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/longestword?view=uk
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/wordtriv.htm
http://www.m-w.com/help/faq/long_words.htm