Cambridge exams

garans   Sunday, February 20, 2005, 17:40 GMT
Do you think that Cambridge exams FCE, CAE, CPE are helpful a learner to get the better English?
Raj K   Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 17:30 GMT
Very helpful.I took my CPE in 1979 itself.
garans   Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 18:30 GMT
wow,

you are an expert.

They say that we need to have native-like abilities to get CPE.
I am not very good at listening - I can get about 70-80% of movies.

Is it enough to get C-level (lowest at CPE) ?
Tom   Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 22:33 GMT
Some of my friends have passed the CPE with Bs and Cs. Their skills are far from native-like.
Get some sample Proficiency tests. You'll see they're not so hard.
Jordi   Wednesday, February 23, 2005, 22:50 GMT
I imagine it all depends on the countries where you pass it. As you know exams are passed in different European cities and they come from England.

I passed a CPE (and additional translation papers from and into Spanish) in the 1980s in Spain. There were more than 50 of us who sat for the exam and only 4 of us passed. I just say this to explain how difficult it is at least over here. Most of those who sat for the exam had university English degrees and/or Official School of Languages diplomas.

The exam was quite prestigious 15 years ago and I don't know if it still is. Perhaps, other people living in Spain can tell us something (or in other European countries).
Miguel   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 15:32 GMT
I wanted to take the toefl exam about 2 years ago. I prepared it and it seemed quite easy. How difficult is it comparing to the ones you are taking about? thanks..
Italian77   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 15:42 GMT
To Miguel
The TOEFL exam corresponds, more or less, to the CAE examination (Certificate of Advanced English).
Miguel   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 16:10 GMT
so, which one do you think is better to take?
garans   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 17:18 GMT
I also am not sure that the level of people who passed them is that of native-like as they proclaimed.

On the other hand I am against testing a foreigner, who lives all his life in non-english speaking country, as a person that should have native-like abilities.

Of course he/she will have problems with listening/speaking skills, and his/her routine knowledge may be far from that of an average native speaker.

We can compare a foreigner to a goreigner with good or excellent English. Forget native speakers and redo gradation!

Cambridge exams are well developed and take time to prepare. But you can not get some skills without living in English-speaking country, at least it is extremely difficult.
Italian77   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 19:32 GMT
To Miguel
I would go for Cambridge exams rather than TOEFL (I actually took CAE three years ago, I'm planning to take CPE, too, in the future).
Miguel   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 21:23 GMT
thanks Italian77, any reason for that? is it more difficult? as I said I was planning to take the toefl exam 2 years ago.
Italian77   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 21:43 GMT
To Miguel
I think Cambridge exams are more complete, I mean, you also have to undergo an oral interview. For example, CAE usually takes two whole days, one devoted to written tests (Reading, Writing, English in Use), and the other to oral exams (Listening and Speaking). It sounds a bit hard, but it's definitely a very good way to test yourself and your skills.
But if you want to study in the US, I think TOEFL is better because it's usually required as a language knowledge proof. Moreover, it's usually accepted in other English speaking countries.
So, if you need it to study abroad, TOEFL is the best choice, while if you want to be tested more accurately, CAE and CPE are better.
Ved   Thursday, February 24, 2005, 22:09 GMT
Garans, are you sure you want to do the CPE? As somebody who has taught preparatory courses for all the Cambridge exams, I am not sure that this would be the right level for you. The language in your postings is telling me "the FCE, and not without some preparation".
garans   Friday, February 25, 2005, 05:41 GMT
Ved,

I think you are correct.

I learn English about 14 years and can read without vocabulary.
But my grammar is poor and I have difficulties with authentic phrases, because I tend to use phrases of my own language.

Is not it laughable to take the exam with schoolchildren just to show everyone that I can not sometimes differ between simpliest things?

I use preparation books of all levels - they are not of much help for me although. But they are interesting (Michael Vince, for example).
You should not teach an old dog new tricks.
Miguel   Friday, February 25, 2005, 12:56 GMT
To Italian,

thank you, very helpful, I'm not going to study in the states, so I most probably take CAE, would you know any good book which can help me in my studies? thanks