Proto Germanic / Germanic Languages Similarities

!   Monday, March 07, 2005, 18:14 GMT
Just write :

Hier is een exempel of hauw Englisch wut loek lijk , had it een orthografie witsch was ...
Travis   Monday, March 07, 2005, 19:10 GMT
!, Well, then obviously all the people who I've talked to about spelling reform matters who said that such looked like Dutch (without being asked about whether such looked like such, either) (who weren't all native English-speakers either, and included some Germans and Dutch if I recall correctly) must be incorrect then...
Travis   Monday, March 07, 2005, 19:29 GMT
Of course, the reason why they've said it looks a lot like Dutch is simply due to the predominance of "aa", "ee", "oo", and "ie", and the use of "sj" and "tj" for /S/ and /tS/ respectively only adds to this overall. However, beyond that, I myself would actually say that it doesn't look that much like Dutch, all things considered, and contrary to what some others have said.
!   Monday, March 07, 2005, 19:43 GMT
Travis ,

Don't try to 'beat' me in Dutch ,
I am a native speaker, so you really don't have a chance...
Travis   Monday, March 07, 2005, 19:46 GMT
I didn't say that I was "trying" in the first place, heh. The similarities between said provisional orthography and Dutch orthography stem from some common design aspects between the two, but the two are in no fashion the same (despite some thinking it looks like Dutch).
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, March 07, 2005, 22:12 GMT
The Norwegian word for fever: feber

Dete eer woerdan norsk vile haa set eeuwt mee neederlandsk ortoegraafie
This is how Norwegian would have looked with Dutch ortography.
Except that the Norwegian -u (something between French -ou and German -ü) does not exist in Dutch, I think. Here I wrote -eeuw
Fredrik from Norway   Monday, March 07, 2005, 22:15 GMT
In Norwegian we say hold a poll "blant" = among..., but I know that it is "unter" in German.
among ourselves = unter uns = blant oss selv
Sander   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 15:19 GMT
Travis,

Your "Dutch" looked more like bad spelled fonetical dutch to me.still it looked more like english than dutch to me ...
Sander   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 15:25 GMT
!,

=>Hier is een exempel of hauw Englisch wut loek lijk , had it een orthografie witsch was ...<=

Your still to english....I think it would be more this...

Hier is an eksempel of hauw Inglisch woet loek lijk ,hed it un ortoraphie witschj was....

Dont you think ???
!   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 15:31 GMT
Well , it all depends on what region you come from ....
Travis   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 15:34 GMT
Sander, actually, it was other people who'd said it looked like Dutch, originally, not myself (for some reason, people seem to think that something is Dutch if it 1) looks like a germanic language and 2) has lots of doubled vowel symbols).
Sander   Tuesday, March 08, 2005, 18:46 GMT
I know I got your intencion in your first message...

IJ noow IJ ghot joor intensjon in joor furst message...
Sander   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 17:39 GMT
We do have that letter in Dutch the " Ü " its in the word Überhaupt ,I know looks german (it is) but we use it in dutch (constantly)
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 17:45 GMT
In which words do you use the ü? And how do you spell it?
Travis   Wednesday, March 09, 2005, 19:29 GMT
To my knowledge, "ü" is used in nederlands in loanwords from Deutsch, not for native words, besides the use of a diaeresis in nederlands in somecases (and such a diaeresis could end up on a "u", but mind you that such is not the same character orthographically as "u" with an umlaut, even though it's the same actual symbol). However, don't call me on this one, as I don't speak nederlands.